Holiday Office Party Recipes
  Re: (...)
Hello All,

When you need to contribute to the Annual Office Holiday Party, what do you bring?

Barbara<~~~phishing for ideas for appys...
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by BarbaraS (Hello All,[br][br]Wh...)
Well, you're only off by one day, but when you asked this last year, on the 11th, I responded with the White Chocolate Banana Cream Pies, so that's my answer, and I'm sticking with it. LOL!

Actually, I just noticed that you mentioned appetisers this time, instead of desserts. Here's one that's always been a hit:

Chorizo con Queso
Serves 8 to 12

Ingredients:
  • 8 Oz Chorizo, chopped (works just as well with the fresh [Mexican] or dried [Spanish] chorizo.)
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 2/3 to 1 Cup Onion, chopped
  • 8 Oz Mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 (4 oz) Can Chopped green chiles
  • Chipotle pepper powder, to taste (optional; I usually use about 2 Tsp.)
  • 1 Lb Monterey jack cheese, shredded or cubed
  • 1 large bag tortilla chips for dipping
Instructions:
  1. In a large skillet or saucepan, brown the chorizo, drain and set aside.
  2. In the same pan, sauté the onions, mushrooms, chiles and (if desired) the chipotle powder in the butter until the mushrooms are done and the onions are translucent.
  3. Add the cheese and stir until all melted.
  4. Stir in reserved chorizo and heat through.
  5. Serve as a hot dip for your favourite tortilla chips
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by labradors (Well, you're only of...)
When I need a good transportable dish, I always fall back on my Ranch Party Platter and/or Kahlua and Cream Dip with pineapple and pound cake cubes. The problem with the Kahlua thing is that the WOW factor with that is the chocolate bag...which can break easily. But if you don't do the bag, it's fast and easy. The platter is really easy also...portion out your veggies in separate bags and put the "dip" part in a container the day before. Then assemble right before service. My mother loves this dip and uses it all the time. Recently she used it for cucumber sandwiches...you know, bread round, dip, cucumber slice. I have also done smaller rounds with dip topped with cherry tomato slice and a sprinkle of finely chopped bacon bits.

Now if you have access to an oven...Jean's Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are SUPER AWESOME! DD's FAVORITE! I also have a killer cheesy crab dip with toast points. But both of these require an oven right before service. Let me know if you're interested in any of these.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (When I need a good t...)
Hey Daphne and Labs,

I only drive 6 miles from work, so technicly, I could serve something somewhat warm. I used to do a Crock Pot Pulled Pork that ran out in 30 minutes. But now the managers are doing the main menu items and are only asking for appies and desserts.

I have a new department manager and I would like to impress the whole department with something tasty and crowd pleasing.

Has anyone done those Blue Cheese and Bacon Puffs from Vol 36, pg 24? And if you did, how did those work out?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by BarbaraS (Hey Daphne and Labs,...)
My appetite

I also bring bruschetta and stuffed mushrooms. My shroom filling is braised in chianti
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by DFen911 (My appetite [img]/ub...)
I think the polenta rectangles with asparagus and balsamic recipe Jean posted recently is a great idea. It sure wowed me! Or those brie stuffed mushrooms from foodgawker. Wait, or was that Pioneer woman?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by chef_Tab (I think the polenta ...)
Barbara here are a couple of ideas. This first one is so simple, but so tasty. I've done the batter in mini-muffin pans and/or a sheet pan and cut little squares. The sauce is spicy and is so good together.

MINI ZUCCHINI QUICHES

4 large eggs
1 envelope Lipton Golden Onion Soup Mix
1 1/2 cups zucchini -- shredded
4 ounces Swiss cheese -- grated
1/4 cup Panko
2 T. Parmesan cheese -- grated
3/4 teaspoon basil -- fresh or dried
-------
Spicy Tomato Sauce - Recipe Follows

In a mixer, or by hand, whisk up the eggs; add the rest of the ingredients and combine well.
Pour into mini muffin tins, sprayed with Pam. Bake 18-20 minutes at 325 F.
Let the tins sit 8 - 10 minutes before removing the quiches - they will shrink on themselves and be much easier to remove.

I've served these quiches with different sauces over the years, but the one I did for last night's was the best, just spicy enough to go with them, so this will be 'the one' from now on.

Smokey Tomato Sauce

28 oz. can Muir Glen Fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 large poblano, roasted, wiped and seeded, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp. cumin
2 T. cilantro, chopped
1 cup chicken broth (I had pork stock in the freezer and used that one time - will try corn stock also)

Add all the ingredients in a stock pot, bring to just a boil, reduce heat and simmer the sauce for 1 - 1 1/2 hours (depending on how thick you want your sauce.)

I used a blender stick when I got all in the pot or you could cook it and then use a blender stick or a processor, don't make it too smooth tho, little chunks are nice.

Season with salt & pepper. Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead and reheat if you are serving hot. It was good at room temp. with the quiches also. Makes about 24 (Note to Barbara - room temp. works for the quiches also. but not cold.)

Note: For testing purposes only, I found dipping 18 hour bread in the sauce was wonderful!
wine - Dancing Bull Zin '05
costs = $6.38 per batch/ 24 servings.
-----
This one is from Sharon and is very good also.

Pepperoni and Asiago Pinwheels

1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese*
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package) -- thawed
2 tablespoons honey-Dijon mustard
2 ounces packaged sliced pepperoni (about twenty-four 1 1/2-inch-diameter slices)
1 large egg -- beaten to blend

Nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray

Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Cut puff pastry crosswise in half to form 2 rectangles. Spread 1 tablespoon mustard over 1 puff pastry rectangle, leaving 1-inch plain border at 1 long edge. Place half of pepperoni in single layer atop mustard. Top pepperoni with half of cheese mixture. Brush plain border with egg.

Starting at side opposite plain border, roll up pastry, sealing at egg-coated edge. Transfer pastry roll, seam side down, to medium baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry rectangle, mustard, pepperoni, cheese mixture, and egg. Chill rolls until firm, about 30 minutes, or wrap and chill up to 1 day.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with foil. Lightly spray with vegetable oil spray. Cut each pastry roll into about thirty 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Transfer pinwheels to prepared sheets. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to platter; serve.

Makes about 60 totally addictive appys.

Description:
"Sharon & Bob made for the wedding in Ohio, March /08"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
These little tartlets are very tasty and so easy to put together. Depending on your crowd, adding a little heat (minced jalapeno, cayenne, etc.) to the jam or jelly is really good.

RASPBERRY-BRIE TARTLETS

20 slice white bread (I used "Hippy" bread - nuts, grain, twigs, etc.)
melted butter
8 ozs wedge of Brie, cut up (i had a wedge w/sundried tom. or somethihng in it)
13 ozs jar raspberry jam (I had Plum jelly)

Remove crusts from bread; roll & flatten each bread slice w/a rolling pin.
Cut 3 circles out of each slice with a 1 3/4" fluted or round cookie cutter.

Brush mini muffin pans w/melted butter.
Press circles on bottom and up sides of muffin cups; brush bread cups with melted butter.

Bake at 350 for 7 min., or till lightly toasted.

Remove bread cups from pans, and [lace on ungreased baking sheets.
Fill cups evenly with cheese pcs.; top each with 1/4 tsp. jam.
Bake at 300 for 10 min. or till cheese is just melting.

NOTE: To make ahead, freeze toasted bread shells up to 1 month in advance.
Thaw at room temp. about 30 min. Assemble tartlets, and bake as directed.
NOTES : These are ao easy and tasty!!
Yield: "5 dz"
For winery tastings I've been making this bread pudding with very smalll bread cubes and pour the 'batter' into a sheet pan to make a shallow layer. Then just cut in squares and serve with picks - good also at room temp. Serving with the roasted tomato sauce above would be very good also.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Parmesan-Leek Bread Pudding

3 tablespoons butter
3 leeks\raw -- white part only
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup Half-and-half, Fat Free
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 loaf Italian bread -- torn into 1 inch pieces

In a sauté pan over medium heat, gently soften the leeks in butter. After the leeks are tender, remove from heat. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large mixing bowl, combine milk, half-and-half, eggs, seasonings, and cheese. Stir in bread and leeks. Pour mixture into a large baking dish and bake for 35-45 minutes.

Serves 8
This works will as individual timbales or molds - just cut the bread in small cubes.

Almost forgot these little goodies - really good!!

SPICY SHRIMP WRAPPED IN SNOW PEAS
Asian flavors accent this low-fat do-ahead appetizer. MAKES 20

20 uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large garlic clove, pressed
½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder*
20 large snow peas, stringed
1 teaspoon oriental sesame oil
½ teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
20 small wooden skewers or toothpicks

Combine shrimp, ginger, vegetable oil, garlic and five-spice
powder in medium bowl; toss to blend.
Cover mixture and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Bring medium pot of salted water to boil. Add snow peas; cook just until crisp-tender, about 45 seconds. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain; pat dry. Transfer peas to bowl. Drizzle sesame oil and sesame seeds over, tow to coat. Set aside.
Heat large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp mixture and sauté 3 minutes. Add soy sauce; stir until shrimp are just opaque in center and liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate and cool completely.
Wrap 1 snow pea lengthwise around each shrimp from head to tail. Secure with skewers.
(Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Cover & refrigerate.)
Serve chilled or at room temperature.

Description:
"Made these at Tracie's with Billy J and Joe & wife"
A big bowl of this popcorn will knock everyone's socks off!!

TRUFFLE POPCORN

Recipe By : a Chef's Journey

1/2 cup popcorn
vegetable oil to coat the popcorn very lightly
1 1/2 Tbsps truffle oil
truffle iinfused salt
1/2 Tbsp Lemon Zest

In a small plastic bag, pour in the popcorn and add just enough vegetable oil to barely coat the kernals, work the bag with your hands to coat the kernals.
Dump the popcorn into a large heavy pot with a lid.
Pop the corn and remove from heat.
Immediately add the truffle oil, truffle salt and lemon zest and toss the popcorn until all is incorporated.

The amounts of truffle oil and truffle salt are approximates - add to taste.

Serve immediately.

Truffle oil and salt can be found in most large grocery stores.

Chorizo-Filled Dates Wrapped in Bacon

1 small Spanish chorizo sausage (about 2 ounces) -- casing removed
24 Medjool dates -- pitted
12 slices bacon -- halved crosswise

Slice the chorizo crosswise in thirds. Halve each piece lengthwise, then cut each half into 4 lengthwise strips to make a total of 24 small sticks.

Tuck a chorizo stick into each date and pinch the dates closed. Wrap a strip of bacon around each date and secure with a toothpick.

Place the wrapped dates in a large skillet, seam sides down, and sauté, turning, until the bacon is browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Description:
"This timeless tapa from Spanish cookbook author Penelope Casas has everything going for it-it's sweet, smoky and savory, all in one bite."

O.K., O.K., I'll stop now - I do tend to get carried away when these kind of requests come up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by cjs (Barbara here are a c...)
JEAN!!! I had my stuff all planned and now you are making me change my mind. There just aren't enough events. I want it all! I guess this is a good problem.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by chef_Tab (JEAN!!! I had my stu...)
"I guess this is a good problem." - yes, it is, glad they sound good to you, theresa.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Holiday Office Party Recipes by cjs ("I guess this is a g...)
Holy Cow Batman!! Ask and you receive!!

All of these are so tempting - chorize filled dates in bacon, zucchini quiches, the chorizo con queso dip... Thank you everyone, it's gonna be hard to choose

But has anyone ever done the Blue Cheese and Bacon Puffs? Maybe that should be on a review dinner?

Barbara