C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good!
  Re: (...)
Boy, do these cookies sound good and I've just been thinking what to have in the freezer (that's different) for needed last minute presents!! Just saw these on the C@H email thing.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oatmeal-Cranberry Cookies

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. table salt
2 sticks unsalted butter -- softened (1 cup)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups oats (not instant)
1 cup dried cranberries
6 oz. good-quality white chocolate -- coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350°; line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl; set aside.

Cream butter, both sugars, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture; stir with a rubber scraper or wooden spoon until completely blended.

Fold the oats, cranberries, and white chocolate into the dough until evenly distributed.

Drop dough in 3 Tbsp. mounds (a No. 40 cookie scoop is perfect) onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until golden but still a little moist. Let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack.

Description:
"Think oatmeal cookies are too simple for a holiday cookie tray? Well, upgrading a few key ingredients is all it takes to dress these beauties up for a party."
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.cuisinerecipes.com/2009/12/10/oatmeal-cranberry-cookies/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Makes: four dozen (4-inch) cookies

and

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chocolate-Gingerbread CookiesChocolate-Gingerbread Cookies

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter -- softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
Coarse or turbinado sugar -- sifted powdered sugar

Whisk together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, ginger, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cloves in a bowl; set aside.

Using a hand mixer on medium speed, cream butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a bowl until mixture is light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.

Add egg to creamed mixture; beat on low speed until well blended. Add half of the flour mixture; beat on low until ingredients are combined. Add remaining flour mixture, beating only until flour is incorporated into dough.

Divide dough in half. Roll each portion between two sheets of parchment or waxed paper until dough is about 1/8-inch thick. Chill dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350°; line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Remove top sheet of parchment. Cut dough into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to the prepared cookie sheets, spacing cookies 1 inch apart. (Roll scraps again one time only.) If desired, sprinkle cookies with coarse sugar, or wait to decorate cookies after baking. Chill cookies again, about 20 minutes.

Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, until they're firm to the touch and lightly brown on the bottoms, 13-15 minutes. Let cookies cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack.

Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar or additional coarse sugar.

Description:
"To help these cookies keep their precise shape, chill the cut-out cookies on the cookie sheet before you pop them into the oven to bake."
S(Internet Address):
"http://www.cuisinerecipes.com/2009/12/10/chocolate-gingerbread-cookies/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Makes: 30 (3-inch) cookies

I'm off to bake!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by cjs (Boy, do these cookie...)
Jean, I make a recipe very similar. It is great! One of our favorites, especially Nicky who does not like chocolate, but likes white chocolate.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by esgunn (Jean, I make a reci...)
Jean, this isn't the gingerbread recipe that Denise tried is it? I hope not! Let me know how they turn out. I'd still like to do some when Ashley comes home!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, this isn't the...)
I don't know, Daphne - it was on the E-cuisine thing we get in the mail. You know it's funny, I can look at a recipe one time and it does nothing for me, then see it again and I drool. Probably depends on how hundry I am....

Today got away from me, but I'll be making both tomorrow - that cranberry and white chocolate intrigues me, Erin.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by cjs (I don't know, Daphne...)
Yes,I was thinking the same thing, Daph. Didn't Denise do a chocolate gingerbread recipe, and said it was dry and fell apart??
I love to do gingerbread boys and girls, but no one likes gingerbread so I try to do chocolate gingerbread folks. So far I haven't really found a recipe that I love. I will be very interested to hear the results.

Btw, I found a molasses crackle top type gingersnap on
Foodgawker, I did it for Thanksgiving treats and it was a huge hit!!! It's been requested that I make more of those for Christmas treats. Will share recipe if anyone is interested
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by farnfam (Yes,I was thinking t...)
yes, maybe we would.....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by cjs (yes, maybe we would....)
DUH! Cis, please don't make me go back there right now...I get sucked in and stay there forEVER! (Although, William is staying at the farm tonight, so this might be good entertainment for tonight...it IS Friday night after all!)
Daphne
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by cjs (yes, maybe we would....)
Here is the link, good pictures too

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Crackle-Top...x?prop31=2
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by farnfam (Here is the link, go...)
Thanks, Cis!

BTW, I did a search and the Chocolate Gingerbread recipe Denise used was from Food and Wine. I remember now, because she contacted them about her failure and how upset she was that she wasted all those ingredients. Here's the thread in case you want to compare recipes to avoid disaster, Jean.

OOPS! Dinner got ready and I hit post before I added the thread. I'll do one better...here's the FAILED recipe for you to compare:

COOKIES

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/2 cup molasses
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled

ICING1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1 large egg white
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Mascarpone Filling, optional

Directions

Make the cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cocoa powder, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the softened butter with the shortening at medium speed until the mixture is smooth, about 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Add the egg to the cookie batter and beat until incorporated. Beat in the molasses and then the melted bittersweet chocolate. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating between additions. Divide the dough into 3 equal parts. Shape each part into a disk, then wrap each one in plastic wrap and refrigerate the cookie dough until chilled, about 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 disk of dough 1/4 inch thick. Using 4- to 5-inch cookie cutters, cut the dough into shapes and transfer to the prepared baking sheets. Reroll the dough scraps and cut out more cookies.

Bake the cookies for about 7 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking until the tops are dry. Let the cookies cool on the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.

Make the icing: In a medium bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar with the egg white and lemon juice and whisk until the icing is completely smooth.

Scrape the Mascarpone Filling into a piping bag fitted with a medium tip. Turn half of the gingerbread cookies flat side up and pipe a thin layer of filling over the cookies.

Top with the remaining cookies, flat side down.
Scrape the icing into a piping bag fitted with a very small tip. Decorate the cookies as desired. Let stand until the icing dries, about 30 minutes.

Make Ahead
The chocolate-gingerbread cookies can be kept in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Daphne
  Re: Re: C@H Online Recipe - Sounds Good! by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Cis![br][br]...)
Daph, Ummm I do not see thread

You will like those cookies teehee, have I ever steered you wrong

Hope Jean will give us a complete review and recommendations for Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. I just love to decorate the little guys, I really get carried away sometimes.

Thanks,Daph! Maybe I will do a small trial batch. So, the one you posted is the good one right?? Not the one that Denise found errors in???
Cis
Empress for Life