Cookie Reviews
  Re: (...)
What a marathon cookie baking day yesterday was. Got five batches done and ready for giving. All of them I had never made before - I was really tired of making the same cookies for over 40 years! (the kids can just learn to make them themselves for a change)

1. Sageland’s Port Truffles - A gal at Sagelands gave me her recipe for truffles the last time we visited the winery last spring and I just got to making them yesterday. I think these are the best I've ever tasted. Instead of asking if anyone wants the recipe, here it is -

Rhonda's Sageland’s Port Truffles

1/4 cup heavy cream
4 T. (1/2 stick) butter
12 oz. semisweet chocolte chips (I used a mixture of Lindt 70% Intense Dark and Chocolate Santander 75%)
1/4 cup Sageland’s Port (didn’t have any, so used Single Leaf El Dorado Port ’95 –wow, is this goooooood!)
Ghirardelli sweet ground chocolate and cocoa for dusting

In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the cream and the butter. Stir until the butter melts and the cream simmers. Remove from heat.

Add the chocolate chips, and stir until melted and smooth. Mix in the Sageland’s Port, then pour into a bowl.

Cover and freeze just until firm enough to run a smaller cookie scoop through the mix.

Scoop the truffles in mini-baking cups, then dust with the ground chocolate.

2. Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies (from the online recipes from C@H) – Very good. Someone mentioned the recipe not calling for molasses, but since I’m not that big of a molasses fan, these were perfect for me – ginger and the chocolate together, really good. No trouble chilling and rolling and cutting out at all. I’ll do these again.

For the next three, I finally opened the Holiday Cookies C@H book I got a year or two ago – never even opened it before; still had all the throwaway crap in the book.

3. Butterscotch Chip Spice cookies – we both liked these, especially good with coffee and wine. The only thing I didn’t like about the recipe is, it calls for the cookie balls to be rolled in powdered sugar before baking and the cookies now have little clumps of sugar here and there and it just doesn’t look right.

4. Gold bricks with crushed salted peanuts – These are O.K. Lot of work for not a spectacular flavor. Plus – peanut butter chips do not melt for drizzling (at least for me); so I put them in a bowl, mixed with a little milk and that made the consistency perfect. Really thought there were just too many flavors going on. BUT, the cake, all by itself is one of the most flavorful, light and fluffy cakes I’ve ever tasted. Will have to think of things to do with it.

5. Chocolate Chip Cookies with Crispy Rice Cereal – my favorite of the day! But, I’m a chocolate chip cookie fanatic, so no wonder. But what the rice Krispies did for the texture was just wonderful!! These are the ones I’ll have to be careful making, ‘cause I won’t be able to keep them in the house!

I didn’t make the Oatmeal-Cranberry cookies – just ran out of time, will try to make these today or tomorrow if I have time.

So, it was fun to make cookies that I hadn’t made before and all of them turned out well enough to be given as gifts. Whew!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cookie Reviews by cjs (What a marathon cook...)
Jean, those truffles sound divine. I am going to add that to my annual list of Christmas baking. We did ours yesterday as well. Thanks for the recipe.
Sounds like fun, Jean. We're busy until the 19th, so I'll make all my cookies a few days before Christmas. We have leftover chocolate ganache from last Saturday, I planned on trying to make truffles. Hadn't thought of port, but will sure give it a try. If you care to post the rice crispy recipe.....
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Cookie Reviews by Lorraine (Sounds like fun, Jea...)
Hi Lorraine! You guys are working your little b*tts off, aren't you?? Will post the recipe later today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cookie Reviews by cjs (Hi Lorraine! You guy...)
Hi, Lorraine! I know you guys will be glad when the holidays get over!

Jean, I'm with Lorraine...I can't wait to see that recipe as well. I've never made truffles before...this looks like a recipe to start with. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cookie Reviews by Gourmet_Mom (Hi, Lorraine! I kno...)
These really are good -
Chocolate Chip Cookies with Crispy Rice Cereal
Page 28-29, Holiday Cookies
Makes about 5 doz. 4” cookies

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
1/4 cup oats
1 tsp. each: baking soda, cream of tartar, table salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vege oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F; line two baking sheets with parchment paper

Whisk flour, cereal, oats, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt together in a bowl; set aside.

Cream butter with both sugars in a bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy.

Add oil, egg, and vanilla, then beat until blended Stir in the chocolate chips and flour mixture just until flour is incorporated. (To give the cookies a festive look, stir 1 cup mini M&Ms into the dough along with the chocolate chips.

Drop dough in 3 T. mounds (a #40 cookie scoop is perfect) onto prepared baking sheets, spacing abut 2” apart. Bake 12-14 minutes, or until cookies are set and golden around the edges. Let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a rack.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cookie Reviews by cjs (These really are goo...)
Thanx!!! Chocolate Gingerbreads on the list for baking day this week. Make that baking days
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Cookie Reviews by farnfam (Thanx!!! Chocolate ...)
Cis, I did make 6 or 8 little gingerbread men, didn't decorate but wanted to see how the dough worked and it's great! all their little arms and legs are still attached.
www.achefsjourney.com
OMG! I hadn't thought about that port in sooooo long - that bottle didn't last too long. Oh - to have a bottle of that to make truffles.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Cookie Reviews by Harborwitch (OMG! I hadn't though...)
C'mon west, Sharon, there is still "a little" left....
www.achefsjourney.com