Making lava cake ahead of time?
  Re: (...)
I've never made chocolate lava cake, but I know you guys have mentioned it quite a bit. The two main threads (having different recipes) about it are THIS and THIS.

One thing I have noticed is that there seem to be two types of lava cake. First, there is the type where one freezes chunks of ganache and inserts them into a regular cake bater just before baking. Second, there is the type where the recipe uses very little flour, and one cooks the cakes only until the outside is done, but the inside is still molten.

For those of you who have made these before, I have two questions:
  1. In your experience and opinion, which of the methods produces a better cake, including presentation, taste, and the effect of the oozing, melted chocolate?
  2. How far ahead of time may these be made? I have seen some recipes that say they may be refrigerated for up to seven days before baking, but I'm wondering if they can be made further ahead of time and frozen.
Thanks for your help!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Making lava cake ahead of time? by labradors (I've never made choc...)
Labs, I'm no help here at all! I have only done this once and the recipe was the one with little flour. I have no base for comparison...BUT I thought it was a wonderful dessert!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Making lava cake ahead of time? by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I'm no help he...)
Labs,I've never done the ones with a frozen center to start - the only recipe I think I've ever made is Kelly's which is in one of the referenced threads.

Making the batter ahead and popping in the oven to order is what I've always done - they are so fast. The only problem would be if you wouldn't have access to an oven for your event.

I made to order at the hotel - both for individual ordering and on the buffet table, would just make a few at a time and run them out.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Making lava cake ahead of time? by cjs (Labs,I've never done...)
I've only done the ones where you bake for a period of time, not the chunk one.

I make them in the morning and put them in the fridge till that night for baking. I take them out about 30 min before I have to cook them.
  Re: Re: Making lava cake ahead of time? by DFen911 (I've only done the o...)
I've made the individual ones in the custard cups twice. The first one was perfect. The second time, I made the batter early and refrigerated it. That time was not so successful. I think I should have let them come to room temperature before baking.

I hope that helps.

Sally
  Re: Re: Making lava cake ahead of time? by lxxf (I've made the indivi...)
Thanks, everyone. I may try experimenting with freezing them, too, just to see if and how they turn out.
  Re: Re: Making lava cake ahead of time? by labradors (Thanks, everyone. I...)
Labs I've heard you can freeze them Put plastic wrap right on top of the mix to avoid ice crystals from forming and thaw them in the fridge and bring to room temp. Should be fine
  Re: Re: Making lava cake ahead of time? by DFen911 (Labs I've heard you ...)
Cool! (No pun intended.) Thank you.