Baking/candy - I quit!
  Re: (...)
There is a reason why some love to bake and others prefer to cook.

First - made a batch of toffee. It has yet to harden. It's more like taffy and I brought it up to the right temp.

Second - Fudge, well it's still cooling. I have to get it down to 110 before I start to whip it. But it looks ugly. Not even remotely appetizing.

Third - cookies. I just think baked goods sense my reluctance and all make a pack to fail. These were simple chocolate chip. And when the bake they spread out so thin. They look like they slowly melted and then just stayed there.

All my ingredients were fresh and not low end either. I checked my oven temp with 2 thermometers and all is fine.

My 3 items for the goodie plates for neighbors and co-workers is all going in the trash. So I officially quit baking. Between those darn ginger bread things and now today I am not meant to be a baker
  Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by DFen911 (There is a reason wh...)
From past signitures--"cooking is chemistry. baking is alchemy". My sympathy and empathy.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by Old Bay (From past signitures...)
Oh, Denise, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what the problem is...I know you can do this.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Denise, I'm so s...)
Even as a kid I hated baking. I called my mom and asked her "hey when I was little did I help you make cookies or cakes?" She said "Oh no...when I got out the cookie sheets you took off the back yard." Lol!
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by DFen911 (Even as a kid I hate...)
Well that's it..I just tried to "whip" the fudge with my hand mixer as the directions tell me to do. I am to whip it for 10-20 minutes. My mixter literally caught fire after 2 minutes

No kidding smoke and flames because the motor couldn't handle it.

I would cry but I'm laughing so hard right now because it's so typical of me baking.
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by DFen911 (Well that's it..I ju...)
OMG! You have got to be kidding!!!!! I'm sorry, I've gotta laugh with you! I have never heard of anything like this! It's like you're cursed when it comes to baking! UNBELIEVABLE! So maybe you should quit....but I HATE to quit. And I'm thinking you do, too!

DANG IT! I SO wished we lived closer...I'd come over and help. And we'd be able to have a glass of wine and laugh about this. MERCY!

Honey, go have a glass of wine. You can clean up later. And look on the bright side....you didn't have to call the fire department!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by Gourmet_Mom (OMG! You have got t...)
Denise - I have those same genes - my Divinity looks like Hocky Pucks!

Just can't get those recipe to work for me either.

Cookies usually I can. - not candy

Let's just set back - have some wine -!
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by mjkcooking (Denise - I have thos...)
You know Marye...I forgot about Divinity...LOL! That was one of my mothere's signature dishes. Oddly, I never really liked it, so never tried to make it.

Denise, I haven't tried candy yet. I fear failure. But then Vicci just HAD to post that recipe for the toffee...I'll let you know! OIY!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by Gourmet_Mom (You know Marye...I f...)
Denise, I don't know which recipes you tried, but Marilyn's toffee is pretty foolproof. Even if half the chocolate falls off the toffee part is worth it. My chocolate fudge recipe is the easiest I've ever seen, requires no thermometer or whipping with mixer. Everyone who has made it has been successful, so it you want to try again, here it is.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

MAMI’S CHOCOLATE FUDGE *****

Yield: 13 X9x2 Pan or 2 8X8

The taste is fudgy and it gets creamier the longer it sits out of the refrigerator. i am a dark chocolate lover and hate overly sweet chocolates and I don't find this one too sweet. It definitely does not suffer from lack of nuts and seems very forgiving. I put it in whatever square or rectangular glass pans I am not using at the time. It keeps well for a long time in the refrigerator and can withstand several hours in the car.

Put in large bowl
1 cup Butter (usually salted)
2 cups Miniature marshmallows
3 cups Semi sweet chocolate chips (18 oz.) ( I often use the minis)
2 cups Chopped pecans or walnuts (optional) (I may leave them out completely or use 1 cup in half the fudge)
2 tsp. Vanilla extract
Put in heavy duty saucepan:
1 Large can Evaporated Milk (I’ve used low fat)
3 ½ cups Granulated sugar (I’ve used less and always measure it scant)

COMBINE sugar and evaporated milk, in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium to medium high heat and cook stirring constantly, for 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat.

POUR OVER THE INGREDIENTS IN BOWL: marshmallows, morsels, butter, vanilla extract, and nuts if using. Stir vigorously until marshmallows are melted and all is completely combined. (I’ve cheated and softened the marshmallows, butter and chocolate on low in the microwave to make it mix easier)

I divide it into 2 batches and always at least do one without nuts since my son won't eat them. Pour into greased baking pan at least 13 X9x2 or 2 smaller equivalent pans. Refrigerate until firm. (This year I am going to line the pan with foil and then grease the foil) Cut into pieces.

Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Inactive Time: 7 hours and 30 minutes Total Time: 8 hours

Recipe Type: Chocolate, Desserts

Source: Mami's recipe
  Re: Re: Baking/candy - I quit! by Cubangirl (Denise, I don't know...)
Welcome to my club, Denise!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com