Cooking Time
  Re: (...)
We're doing a prime rib for Christmas Day. I had thought I'd have mom use the following recipe, but it's for a 5 pound roast and ours is 9 pounds. Since the method is kinda "different" I can't decide how long to cook the thing. There have been others who have used this method and raved about it, but now I don't know. Should I still use this or change my method? I have the thread where we discussed prime rib, so I have the other methods.

Foolproof Standing Rib Roast
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Prep Time:10 min
Inactive Prep Time:1 min
Cook Time:1 hr 30 min
Level:Easy
Serves:6 to 8 servings

Ingredients
1 (5-pound) standing rib roast
1 tablespoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

Directions
Allow roast to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degree F. Rub roast with House Seasoning; place roast on a rack in the pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast for 1 hour. Turn off oven. Leave roast in oven but do not open oven door for 3 hours. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving time, turn oven to 375 degrees F and reheat the roast. Important: Do not remove roast or re-open the oven door from time roast is put in until ready to serve.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Cooking Time by Gourmet_Mom (We're doing a prime ...)
Daphne,

Why don't you cut it in half? And that way there will be more end pieces.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Cooking Time by BarbaraS (Daphne,[br][br]Why d...)
You know my only concern is, some oven cool faster than others. If yours cools fast it's not going to cook very well. Then they hve you cook again to reheat, rather than just time it so when it's done you carve it.

I like Barbara's idea of just cutting it in half.

HHmm the jury is out on this one for me. I'll let others weigh in

Yep and this post is no help whatsoever
  Re: Re: Cooking Time by DFen911 (You know my only con...)
I WAS going to say I'm going to tell her to do it like Jean told me, but when I went back to look at the thread, I found this from Laura after Maryann asked about the size (Laura posted the link for the "recipe" originally and Theresa backed it up by saying she has used the same method.):

"Yes, I am positive. Last year I was on this forum looking for prime rib advice when I saw the show. The recipe doesn't state it, but that's what she says while she's cooking it ("It works for any size roast"). It's FOOLPROOF. I did a 12-13 lb. roast last year the exact same way. I also did a 7 lb. the same way."

My problem now is the oven being tied up, but I think I've got that figured out as well. I'm making the Rosemary Crusted Potatoes (couldn't get the ciopollini onions) and need to roast them 30 minutes (after parboiling), then toss and roast 15 minutes more. I'm going to do all cooking for them at my house....completely cool, then do the final roasting at her house with the roast resting. Mom also found some pretty asparagus for a deal and got 3 pounds, so I'll throw them in a pan to roast with the potatoes. We're good now!

And Secret Santa...I'm going to use my salts on EVERYTHING! THANK YOU!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cooking Time by Gourmet_Mom (I WAS going to say I...)
We got a thermometer with a probe that goes in the meat and the instrument sits outside the oven--you set the instrument to buzz when the meat temp reaches the desired temp. We got ours from Williams Sonoma--but you can find them at Target--not expensive--then you don't have to worry about cooking time so much--thats all we use now.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cooking Time by Old Bay (We got a thermometer...)
Oh, I've got one of those and love it! Mom's just going to use a therm that stays in the meat, I guess. This recipe seems to not have a need, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

BTW, I don't usually do this, but don't you think I should parboil the asparagus. The potatoes shouldn't need more than 15 to 20 minutes in the oven. Although, I haven't seen the asparagus. If they're pencil thin, that will be ample time. I'm hoping Mom's new oven will accomodate my sheet pans side by side. I'll need to do the garlic bread as well. OIY...that dual oven idea is getting better and better. I don't want the roast to have to sit too long.
Daphne
  Re: Cooking Time by Gourmet_Mom (We're doing a prime ...)
Let us know how you make out, Daphne! I'm doing an 18.5#, cook hi for 15-30 min, then lo and slow for 4 or 5 hours (275). I also have a digital probe that will alert me when it has reached temp, about 125-130, haven't decided yet.

I'm anxious to see your results. Trying to figure out what temp you should set your probe, considering you're going to turn the heat back on and warm it up.

Good luck!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Cooking Time by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, I've got one of ...)
[blockquote]Quote:

Oh, I've got one of those and love it! Mom's just going to use a therm that stays in the meat, I guess. This recipe seems to not have a need, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

"BTW, I don't usually do this, but don't you think I should parboil the asparagus. The potatoes shouldn't need more than 15 to 20 minutes in the oven. Although, I haven't seen the asparagus. If they're pencil thin, that will be ample time."
Yes!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Cooking Time by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I know...she and I both thought something was missing...meat and cheese, salad, meat, roasted potatoes, fresh baked garlic bread, and praline cheese cake. I considered clam chowder, but I'm running out of time, so when she saw the asparagus on sale...BINGO!

Oh, and PJ, I'll let you know. I needed something foolproof. I have done holiday meals since Dad died, and Mom is a little anxious. Dad always did the beef dishes for holidays. Plus, she's working with a brand new stove....OIY! But she has a therm to check the temp in the oven to make sure it's calibrated. I think this method will be perfect. She has a timing issue and we tend to wait for an hour or two after meals are planned to be served. I don't know how she can mess this up...LOL!

BTW, that's a HUGE cut of meat you're serving! But I guess if I was serving 25 people, that would be necessary...LOL! Have you posted your whole menu on the Christmas dinner thread? I'd love to know what you're serving with that hunk of beef.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cooking Time by Gourmet_Mom (I know...she and I b...)
Daphne, I would not cut the roast in half - the bigger the piece of meat the better it roasts, imo.

Good luck!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com