Open That Bottle Nite
  Re: (...)
Dorothy and John retired the column that created this icon evening today in the WSJ. I loved them so and will continue the tradition, but--in the last column they listed the 9 most delicious wines they tasted in 09' from all over the world!! Three were from Washington state Jean!! A Dunham Cellars Syrah 04' at $44.99 was in the top three--and an Owen Roe "Ex Umbris" Syrah 06' ($21.99) & a Gramercy Cellars "Lagnippe" Syrah 05'($29.99) were in the top nine. All from Columbia Valley. I think California has Cabernet, Oregon has Pinot, and Washington has cornered the quality on Syrah--Jean, another reason to enjoy the Pacific NW. Enjoy the new year my friend.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Open That Bottle Nite by Old Bay (Dorothy and John ret...)
Christmas night we opened a 2004 Lodi Old Vine Zin from Oakridge Vineyards. It was just a split bottle - but from vineyards that are 50 to 100 years old. OMG I think we'd been saving it for a Roy and Jean visit.

We have a couple more bottles of very special wines that we're saving - now that we're in the middle of "no-where" it's "first wine-swilling friends/first served". The race is on????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Nite by Harborwitch (Christmas night we o...)
For us it was a Pinot Noir from Kings Estate in Oregon. I realy love the 2006 year but it's so hard to find.

Lately I've really enjoyed the pinot noirs.
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Nite by DFen911 (For us it was a Pino...)
Oh Bill, I can't tell you how much I agree with you on the Wash. Syrahs!!! Just absolutely top notch. We've been keeping up with the last Saturday of the month, trying an old bottle that's been stashed in the cellar since you got us started on that regime. Except last Saturday nite, of course, we weren't home.

I have some pictures to send to you of the wine cellar Roy is building in the spare bedroom downstairs - it's just beautiful and we'll probably never be able to fill all the slots. (But, we'll try... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Open That Bottle Nite by cjs (Oh Bill, I can't tel...)
Quote:

Oh Bill, I can't tell you how much I agree with you on the Wash. Syrahs!!! Just absolutely top notch. We've been keeping up with the last Saturday of the month, trying an old bottle that's been stashed in the cellar since you got us started on that regime. Except last Saturday nite, of course, we weren't home.

I have some pictures to send to you of the wine cellar Roy is building in the spare bedroom downstairs - it's just beautiful and we'll probably never be able to fill all the slots. (But, we'll try... )

I had to bring this one back (thanks anon)--Roys cellar lives up to your expectations!! I love the pictures--I'm just sorry the magnum is empty--I have more, as I'm sure you do!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".