New Year's Eve/Day menus?
  Re: (...)
So, what are you guys making? And/or doing?

Me, I have nothing to contribute as I have no idea what is going on here. Between daily trips to see the MIL in the nursing home, visits from DH's out-of-state sisters, and snowstorms (which ruin plans), I'm no longer planning anything. But I'd like to read what everyone else is doing and, perhaps, live the next few days vicariously through you all????
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: New Year's Eve/Day menus? by foodfiend (So, what are you guy...)
I bought everything for the mousakka (sp?) recipe in the new C@H issue for tomorrow, with a greek salad. I don't if that's very NYE'ish but that's what we're doing.

Not sure for NYD yet.
Well, if all goes well, we will be having the following:

New Year's Eve:
Jean's Crab Stuffed Mushrooms (William's request...he didn't feel he got his fair share Christmas Eve)
Crab Salad Cups (See the sticky where I posted this recipe for Jean)
Paula Deen's Shrimp and Grits (It's been too long!)
Fresh Baked Bread (I'm baking this tonight)
Ruby Sippers to toast the New Year!

New Year's Day (traditional):
Collards
Black Eyed Peas with Smoked Sausage
Fried Cornbread
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
New Years Day we are doing turnip greens in fat back (salt pork), black eyed peas with a ham hock and ham slices. Southern cornbread will rest under my peas and pot likker. I will have sliced tomatos too, ya'll--happy new year.
Be well Vicci, this too shall pass.
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve/Day menus? by Old Bay (New Years Day we are...)
Okay, I think that I shall (in my imagination) fly to NC and have those crab-stuffed mushrooms and ruby sippers at Daphne's on NYE then head to TX the next day where I'll forget that lowfat/no red meat cr*p for just one day and visit Bill... that menu sounds divine...

(ps, thanks Bill for the encouraging words! With luck, this all may be behind us in a week.)
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve/Day menus? by foodfiend (Okay, I think that I...)
Vicci, I sure wish you could come! It's only the two of us. I hate the fact that you won't be able to fix an intimate dinner to celebrate! Just remember, whatever you're doing on NY Day is what you'll be doing every day for the rest of the year! I try not to clean or do laundry that day, only cook!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve/Day menus? by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I sure wish y...)
We've invited Cousin Roy and Cousin Harry for a tamale feed Saturday. I'm planing on making pork and venison tamales.

New Years may just be an assortment of finger food. Jean if I can find your caviar pie recipe I may play with that - I've got 2 avocados, some smoked salmon, and some wasabi caviar (hmmmmmmm???) Maybe some shrimp spring rolls. It's just Bob and I. I'm still???????
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve/Day menus? by foodfiend (Okay, I think that I...)
Vicci--Jane says to tell you we've got plenty greens, peas, ham, and cornbread. You just get yourself rite out here and we'll have a fine feast--ice tea (unsweetened) works, even in winter in Texas--I'm still working on the wine pairing.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve/Day menus? by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, I sure wish y...)
Quote:

Just remember, whatever you're doing on NY Day is what you'll be doing every day for the rest of the year!

WHAAAAAA?!?!?!?!? Okay, that does it-- I'm not going to the nursing home that day! Neither is DH. We'll send the SIL and her hubby...

Bill, if only I could be there (you too, Daphne!).

At dinner tonight DH asked if I knew how to make the same kind of halushki (sp?) that my cousin's husband made on Christmas Eve. That was the first time I tasted it, and it was delicious! It reminded Jack that his mom used to make it on New Year's Day along with kielbassa and sauerkraut. Okay, no sauerkraut in my kitchen, but I can try the halushki and also have turkey 'bassi. So I guess that, now, we do have plans!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: New Year's Eve/Day menus? by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
New Year's day we are having black eyed peas, collards (both cooked with ham hocks and ham pieces), white rice and Mexican cornbread.

New Year's Eve we are having prime rib (in the OVEN-not smoked), asparagus in puff pastry with goat cheese and I am not sure what else.

All the others sound great!!