French Silk Pie?
  Re: (...)
Do any of you have a tested, tried and true recipe for French Silk Pie that is super smooth, not TOO rich, and just blows away any other Frenck-Silk-Pie recipes?

Unfortunately, my dad really likes a cheap, pre-made, chocolate-flavoured, Cool-Whip-type pie that one of their local supermarket chains sells, but something in it bothers my mom's stomach, so she is looking for a recipe for something similar that they can each enjoy. The first thing that came to my mind was French Silk Pie, but I've never made one - only have had it in restaurants. I have already looked at a few recipes on the Web, but they do have what appear to be some significant differences . Thus, I am hoping at least one of you can recommend a recipe you've actually tried and that you know is good and works well.

Thanks!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: French Silk Pie? by labradors (Do any of you have a...)
Labs, I've been making this one since the late 70s or early 80s. I believe it came from Bon Appetit but I didn't write the credit on my 3x5 card. This was my ex's favorite dessert so I made it quite often. It is so smooth.

French Silk Pie

1 c sugar
3/4 c butter
3 sq unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
1 1/2 t vanilla
3 eggs
1 cooked and cooled pie shell
Whipped cream and chocolate curls for garnish

Beat sugar and butter until light. Add chocolate and vanilla.
Add eggs; one at a time. Beat until smooth.

Turn into cooled pie shell. Chill several hours or overnight.
Jan (aka Half Baked)
  Re: French Silk Pie? by labradors (Do any of you have a...)
I wrote a post on this earlier, but it didn't take. I used to make a chocolate mousse pie for DS which he loved. Is that the same thing as the French Silk Pie? If so I can try to find the recipe. I know it was from one of my old chocolate cookbooks and it was very good even from a not so good pie crust maker at the time (I can do them well now using CI's vodka crust). Let me know if you want me to find it.
  Re: Re: French Silk Pie? by Cubangirl (I wrote a post on th...)
This French Silk pie is not fluffy, if that's what you are looking for.
Jan (aka Half Baked)
  Re: Re: French Silk Pie? by Cubangirl (I wrote a post on th...)
Ennui (hope we're not boring you - just joking, of course), thanks for the recipe. That IS one of the ones that was among my earlier Google results, and it had seemed to be a good candidate. The one thing about which I was concerned, though, is that it appears the eggs are used raw and never really cooked, especially if the melted chocolate is cooled. Maybe that would be safe enough for my parents, since they are in the States and get pasteurised eggs. Here, I only have fresh eggs, so I'd probably have to try one of the home-pasteurisation procedures I mentioned in an earlier thread.

Cubana, the Chocolate Mousse Pie could also fit my original criteria. French Silk was just what had come to my mind, but your recipe may fit the bill as well - maybe even better. Please post it so I may compare and see which may be more appropriate for what my mom and dad want.

Thanks to each of you!
  Re: Re: French Silk Pie? by labradors (Ennui (hope we're no...)
Labs, Ennui's recipe is the same as mine and if you decide to try it, I think the secret to it turning out great, and my recipe includes this instruction, is to beat each egg addition 5 minutes before adding the next egg. Hard to find pasteurized eggs now. They had them for a while when we lived in Colorado Springs but I haven't found them here in Tucson. Great recipe though.
Shannon
Lol, Labs! I've used this name for years on other sites.
Jan (aka Half Baked)
  Re: Re: French Silk Pie? by Ennui (Lol, Labs! I've use...)
Thanks, Shannon.

Ennui, if you go to another site and can't use that name, do you use Weltschmertz, instead? Different meaning, but not altogether dissimilar, in a way. Could also be a fun one to use. Either way, they're a couple of great words one doesn't see very often
I could not find the recipe. I looked in the cookbooks I thought it might be, but did not see anything obvious. Now I am puzzled as to where I got it. However, since I have over 200 cookbooks, it could be in any one of 100 of them (I am excluding the obvious ones, ethnic ones etc.) I've lost some recipes over the years, (e.g. my MIL knish recipe) so that could have happened as well. I am cataloguing all my books (just got the newest ed. of Book Collector, mostly for fiction, but doing my cookbooks as well), so I will be pullling most of the old ones out to enter and will look then. Sorry. I did find several recipes including one for silk pie, but there was no indication that had been made.
  Re: Re: French Silk Pie? by Cubangirl (I could not find the...)
Weltschmertz - Love this word!
Jan (aka Half Baked)