ANOTHER Cheese Question...
  Re: (...)
William has requested Lasagna Soup for tonight...it's gonna get REALLY cold around here in the next few days! Thankfully, the fan for the heater has decided to start back working. I won't be adjusting the temp again! OIY! It stopped working after I did that the other day. I thought William was going to strangle me! I'll open a window if I get hot...LOL!

ANYWAY, I've still got Swiss, Manchego, and the Cabot White Cheddar (the softest of the three) that I can cube for the soup. I also have some grated mozzarella. Which would you use for this soup? I refuse to BUY more cheese when I've got so much left...not to mention better quality stuff....except for the mozzarella, it's just Kraft. (I still have Blue, but that wouldn't work here.)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: ANOTHER Cheese Question... by Gourmet_Mom (William has requeste...)
The grated Mozzarella would work well, but instead of putting it at the bottom of the bowl THEN adding the soup (as written in the recipe), just put the soup into the bowls first and then put the grated Mozz on top. Otherwise, it may melt a little too much too quickly.

If it MUST be a decision among the other cheeses, I would say the Manchego would work the best, but I like Manchego SO much that I would hate to use it in the soup that way.

Otherwise, the Swiss can get messed up in the melting and wind up in a big ball if you're not careful. The Cheddar would be a VERY different flavour profile, but I HAVE seen some people use it on Lasagna, so that would be up to your taste.

Again, as long as you have Mozzarella, use that in the soup, as the recipe originally intended, and save the better cheeses for other uses.

BTW, here's a recipe I haven't tried yet, but sounds interesting. It is from the PlateOnline website. If you have a login on that site (it's free), you can go to THIS link for more details about this recipe, including the main recipe for which this is a sub-recipe. Since this is a restaurant recipe, it will need to be scaled down for home use (unless you really want a little more than a gallon of sauce. LOL!

Manchego Crema Sauce
Concept Chef Guillermo Pernot
Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar - Philadelphia, Pa., USA
Yield: 4 1/4 qt

Ingredients:
  • 4 C Shallots, sliced
  • 8 Oz Garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1/2 C Oil, blended
  • 2 1/2 C White wine
  • 10 Cinnamon sticks
  • 5 Qt Heavy cream
  • 3 3/4 Lb Manchego cheese, grated
  • 6 Tbsp Cornstarch
  • 3 Tbsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Ground cinnamon
  • 6 Tbsp Water
Instructions:
  1. Sauté shallots and garlic in oil until softened.
  2. Deglaze pan with wine and reduce to au sec (thick and syrupy).
  3. Add cinnamon sticks and cream and reduce to 4 quarts.
  4. Drain mixture and discard solids.
  5. Remove mixture from heat and reserve to cool a little.
  6. Slowly whisk in Manchego cheese.
  7. Make a slurry of cornstarch, salt, ground cinnamon and water.
  8. Return sauce to heat briefly and whisk in cornstarch mixture until sauce begins to thicken, then remove from heat and reserved, chilled.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: ANOTHER Cheese Question... by labradors (The grated Mozzarell...)
Thanks for the info, Labs...and the recipe. I'll be looking into that.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: ANOTHER Cheese Question... by Gourmet_Mom (William has requeste...)
Mozzeralla on top. But keep in mind it is a form of Swiss that is melted over "French" onion soup, under the broiler. I wouldn't rule that out either.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".