Orange & Beef Stir-Fry Issue 78
  Re: (...)

Has anyone made this yet? I was disappointed in using the broccolini. Very bitter and it spoiled what could have been a great tasting dish. Picked out all those pieces. Should have used Broccoli
  Re: Orange & Beef Stir-Fry Issue 78 by golfingranny ([br]Has anyone made ...)
Welcome to the forum golfingranny! I have not tried that recipe yet, but I may do it soon as we have quite a bit of prime rib left from New Years dinner. I have made sauteed broccolini before and do not recall it being bitter. Do you think you may have bought a bad bunch? Although since broccoli is less expensive, it might be a safer buy!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Orange & Beef Stir-Fry Issue 78 by chef_Tab (Welcome to the forum...)
Welcome, golfingranny! This is good to know. I have this one marked because mandarin oranges are YS's favorite food!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Orange & Beef Stir-Fry Issue 78 by chef_Tab (Welcome to the forum...)
Hi, golfingranny - we made this dish and it turned out very nice. The pork and plum was wonderful as well. I am with Cheftab on this - maybe it was a bad bunch of broccolini. Sorry it did not turn out well for you. They must have my issue wrong cause that is listed in my #79 one.
  Re: Re: Orange & Beef Stir-Fry Issue 78 by (Hi, golfingranny - w...)
We made it last week and thought it was very good - and it went together quickly. I used broccolini and thought it was great. It is more bitter than broccoli, but the sauce was on the sweet side, so we thought it was fine. Also thought it was interesting to serve this over spinach instead of rice. Going to try the pork and plum stir fry sometime soon.
  Re: Orange & Beef Stir-Fry Issue 78 by golfingranny ([br]Has anyone made ...)
Help! I took my issue to the store to buy all of the ingredients and came home without my magazine & recipe. So I had to improvise. The broccolini from Trader Joes was very good and not bitter at all. Could some one please post this recipe for me? The Orange & Beef stir-fry was actually in issue #79 (Feb 2010). I am disappointed that even as a subscriber I can't access Cuisine at Home recipes online.
  Re: Re: Orange & Beef Stir-Fry Issue 78 by smokeyandashes (Help! I took my iss...)
Hi Smokeandashes! Welcome to the boards. I hope you will stick around....so few do. Either way, I have this magazine. Give me a few minutes, and I'll be glad to type it up for you...if somebody else doesn't beat me to it.

Regarding access to the recipes online...I share your pain. There was once a beta testing opportunity that some of the members had access to, but that has since been shut down. We are all very put out about that! Your dilemma is a perfect example of how valuable that service was! We've been told there is something else in the works, but we're still waiting.

Now let me get on with that recipe!

Here you go!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Orange & Beef Stir-Fry over Wilted Spinach

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the marinade:
1/4 cup dry sherry -- or orange juice
1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
12 ounces beef tenderloin -- or sirloin, sliced across the grain into 1/2X2 inch strips
For the Stir-Fry --
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons fresh ginger root -- minced
1 tablespoon garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 ounces broccolini -- trimmed
1 cup red onion -- sliced
3 cups shiitake mushroom -- sliced
2 cups red bell peppers -- sliced
1 cup mandarin orange -- fresh or canned
2 cups fresh spinach -- packed
2 tablespoons sesame seeds -- toasted

Whisk together sherry, broth, marmalade, soy sauce, molasses, vinegar, and sesame oil. Whisk in cornstarch; add beef, tossing to coat in the marinade.

Coat wok with nonstick spray. Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add half the beef to the wok; stir-fry until brown, 2-3 minutes; transfer to plate. Stir-fry remaining beef, reserving marinade; transfer to plate. Remove wok from heat; coat with nonstick spray and return to heat.

Add ginger root, garlic, and pepper flakes to wok; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add broccolini and onion; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and bell peppers; stir-fry 2 minutes.

Return beef to wok with marinade; heat until marinade thickens and boils. Add oranges; stir-fry 1 minute. Divide spinach among four plates; top with stir-fry. Garnish with sesame seeds.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home; Issue 79; page 14"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 968 Calories; 28g Fat (24.2% calories from fat); 36g Protein; 163g Carbohydrate; 25g Dietary Fiber; 60mg Cholesterol; 391mg Sodium. Exchanges: 8 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 4 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.