Gravy Thickeners
  Re: (...)

Soes anyone have a solution for this? Whenever I cook a beef pot roast or stew I cannot get the liquid to thicken enough for gravy. I have made slurries using flour and/or cornstarch, but it just won't thicken enough for gravy.
  Re: Gravy Thickeners by golfingranny ([br]Soes anyone have...)
Make a roux, golfinggranny! Melt some butter, or use pan fat drippings or both, whisk in an equal amount of flour. I like a thicker gravy so I use more flour. Cook for a short while so the flour taste cooks out (keep whisking! use a roux whisk if you have one), then add to your liquid, bring to a low boil, cook until your desired consistency. I can't really help you with amounts, as I usually make a lot of roux and store it for future use. It lasts a very long time.

Hope this helps!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by pjcooks (Make a roux, golfing...)
I just read about this today in my "The Art of Simple Food" by Alice Waters. She suggests stirring together one part flour with one part soft butter. Whisk this into the boiling sauce bit by bit, cooking each addition into the sauce for a minute before going on to the next; you want just enough to give the sauce a little body.
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by Trixxee (I just read about th...)
I use a roux to thicken sauces too. Never did think to make a bunch and freeze for future use. Thanks for the great tip PJ!!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by chef_Tab (I use a roux to thic...)
You're welcome! We used so much at work in catering, we would make a big pot of it and keep it on the shelf above the range. Always at hand!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by pjcooks (You're welcome! We ...)
I agree....great tip, PJ! Thanks! This sounds like a weekend project!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by Gourmet_Mom (I agree....great tip...)
Mister always does a roux for pot roast and it makes excellent thick gravy.
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by (Mister always does a...)
Beurre Manie (French for kneaded butter) is what PJ and Trixxee are referring to - 1/2 fat/1/2 all purpose flour. Take 2 cubes of butter (8 oz.) out of frig and let get soft then with your fingers knead this with 8 oz. of all purpose flour until thoroughly combined. You can then freeze this mixture and break off clumps as needed for thickening sauces, soups, etc.

It's a great staple to keep handy in the freezer.

Welcome to the forum, Golfingranny!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by cjs (Beurre Manie (French...)
Welcome, GG!

A roux would be my preference, too, but Beurre Manie (which I've heard some people call a "cold" or uncooked roux) or slurries also work. Be sure you're using ENOUGH of whatever you do choose, though. A few days ago, I made a roux; then, after I had already added the stock, I decided to use more stock and make more gravy than I had originally intended, so I added more flour in the form of a slurry. After that, I just made sure to cook it long enough - both to get rid of the raw-flour taste and for the thickening to take place.

Have fun!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Gravy Thickeners by labradors (Welcome, GG![br][br]...)
"After that, I just made sure to cook it long enough - both to get rid of the raw-flour taste and for the thickening to take place."

Mom always browned her flour in the oven in a pan to take away the raw flour taste in gravies...no slurry...just straight flour. I just remembered that tip. This would make sense if you have "fat" already existent in your dish and need to add it to a soup/stew or pot roast. Just a thought.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.