For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onions)
  Re: (...)
Since you mentioned that William loves green onions, give this a try (as long as he also likes mushrooms, that is).

Mushroom and Green Onion Fritters
Makes 22 small (1 heaping Tbsp) fritters

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 14 Oz Swiss brown (a.k.a. Crimini or "Baby Portobello") mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 Garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 1/3 Cups Self-raising flour, sifted
  • 1 1/2 Tsp Ground coriander
  • Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2/3 Cup Milk
  • 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
  • 10 Green onions, thinly sliced
  • Extra-light olive oil, for frying
  • Mango chutney, to serve
Instructions:
  1. Heat oil in a medium frying pan over high heat.
  2. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes or until just tender.
  3. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
  4. Combine flour, coriander, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
  5. Lightly whisk milk and eggs together in a jug.
  6. Gradually pour egg mixture into flour mixture, mixing constantly until smooth.
  7. Add mushrooms and green onions and stir gently to combine.
  8. Pour oil into a large frying pan to a depth of 1/4 inch and heat over medium heat until hot.
  9. Using 1 heaped tablespoon of mushroom mixture per fritter, spoon mixture into the hot oil.
  10. Cook fritters, in batches, for 3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked through.
  11. Remove and set aside to drain on paper towel.
  12. Serve fritters immediately with mango chutney.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onions) by labradors (Since you mentioned ...)
Hey thanks Lab!! I will save this for a later date! The Hubby's not as shy anymore with shrooms as he once used to be.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onions) by BarbaraS (Hey thanks Lab!! I ...)
Thanks Labs! William will LOVE this! A fried fritter with mushrooms AND green onion...good one! Granted, I need to save it for a bit...those pants were kinda tight today and fried fritters won't help, not to mention the chutney....LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onions) by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Labs! Willia...)
Cool! I thought it sounded as though it would be right up his alley. Glad it caught Barbara's fancy, as well. It is a very tasty recipe.
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onions) by labradors (Cool! I thought it s...)
There is a Russian Green Onion kind of stuffing for either blintzes (crepes) or pirogi. I am lazy to make my own yeast dough so many times I use bisquits that stores sell like pillsbury buttermilk bisquits. Puff Pastry dough works fantastic too.

goes like this

Take 3-4 onions. Chop in small pieces and Fry slowly until carmelized and brown in color. Meanwhile boil 6 eggs and chop them. Take 5 bunches of green onions and chop. When fried onion mixture is done add chopped hard boiled eggs and chopped green onions. Mix very well and add salt and pepper to taste. I have served it many times and people really seem to like it.

If you are using the bisquits. Fill each with stuffing pinch the ends together and either bake or fry.
If you are using puff pastry than just roll out one sheet put stuffing and put the other sheet on top and pinch all the ends together. Dont forget to poke a couple of holes on top of the dough. Bake at 350 until the dough is nice golden color.
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onio by piano226 (There is a Russian G...)
Wow! What's not to like about that? It would even be a good stuffing for chicken breasts, and I may try it that way, myself!
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onio by labradors (Wow! What's not to ...)
this sounds really good - I haven't made fritters in years - thanks for this one, Labs.
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onio by (this sounds really g...)
Yum, sounds great for the mushroom lover in this house too!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onio by cjs (Yum, sounds great fo...)
Quote:

Yum, sounds great for the mushroom lover in this house too!

LOL! That's actually how I discovered it in the first place. It was one of the first recipes I tried from the Australian Mushroom-Growers' Association website. The total count of recipes I've used from the site is now up to 15.
  Re: Re: For Daphne's William (and lovers of green onio by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Good grief Marina, that sounds good, too!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.