Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review
  Re: (...)
I hesitate to do a review of a recipe that I have to alter, but I think the main flavors were there and it could only get better. I made the Peruvian Grilled Chicken with Tomato rice from issue 79, Feb.2010,last night for dinner. Everyone loved it, even the picky son-in-law. My SIL does not eat onions or sauces of any kind(among other things). For the chicken, I followed the marinade directions exactly with the exception that I had it in the marinade for about 2 hours and had to pan fry the chicken instead of grilling. It was moist, tender, and delicious. I may use this marinade in the summer for quick dinners when I do not have time to make the sauce.
For the rice, I just made a plain white rice and added the cup of diced tomato.
Since SIL does not eat sauce anyway, I went ahead and prepared it according to the directions with the exception that I doubled the whole thing. I recommend this since the three of us eating it kept putting more on our plates. I tasted the sauce before adding the walnuts and I am still undecided if I will continue to add them in the future. Either way, the sauce is fabulous. The cilantro garnish is a must too. This dish is full of flavors and a welcome change from our holiday fare. I would guess the family would give it a 5 and I would go no lower than a 4.5 myself.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by chef_Tab (I hesitate to do a r...)
That's the one I incorrectly posted the recipe for yesterday (for Labs), isn't it? It sure sounded good while I was typing it up. Thanks for the review, will have to get with this one.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by cjs (That's the one I inc...)
Yeah, Jean, that's the one. It DOES sound good.

There you go, Theresa: one way to get your SIL to eat a sauce is to use it as a marinade so that the sauce is already IN the meat. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by chef_Tab (I hesitate to do a r...)
It looks very yummy in the photo and we like "chicken anything". Thanks for the review, Theresa. I have tabbed it for after painting.
  Re: Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by (It looks very yummy ...)
Theresa, have you been nominated for hostess sainthood yet? Having SIL in your little apartment with a plethora of other people and her myriad of food dislikes probably would be the deciding vote!

I just questioned the name of a recipe (Five Jewel Rice Stuffed Chicken Breast) so I hesitate to ask another, but---
any idea what ingredients (or combo thereof) makes this particular recipe Peruvian? Anyone have an idea?

I'll quit now. Time to go to the nursing home to visit MIL and stop being an inquiring mind...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by foodfiend (Theresa, have you be...)
Thanks for the nomination Vicci. It all went more smoothly than I had anticipated. I took the last of the visitors to the airport this morning. Just in time too because I woke up with one of those unbearable head colds so I will most likely spend the afternoon napping on and off.

I am not sure what makes the dish "Peruvian", hopefully Rob will fill us in. He seems like a walking encyclopedia. I am starting to think he isn't even real....sort of like the wizard of oz. I do know it was delicious and I cannot wait to make it again.
Theresa

Re: Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by chef_Tab (Thanks for the nomin...)
LOL! Can't help you with Peru without doing some research on it, myself, but I WAS wondering the same thing, so I'll let you know if I find any answers.
  Re: Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by labradors (LOL! Can't help you...)
Thanks for the review, Theresa! I'll have to dog ear that one.

I bet you're glad to finally have your home back to yourselves. What a shame...just when you get a little peace, you get sick. Poor thing. Get well quickly!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by foodfiend (Theresa, have you be...)
Quote:

any idea what ingredients (or combo thereof) makes this particular recipe Peruvian? Anyone have an idea?

Looks as though it COULD be a loose interpretation/adaptation/version of the Peruvian Aji de Gallina - examples HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE.

The characteristic ingredients seem to be the yellow peppers, Parmesan cheese, milk, bread and walnuts (or other nuts), though this C@H version doesn't have the yellow peppers, and DOES add soy sauce.
  Re: Re: Peruvian Grilled Chicken Review by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I read somewhere that Peruvian cooking is often a fusion of Japanese and Spanish. That would explain the soy with the spices.
Theresa