Blueberry Slump
  Re: (...)
It's a cold, nasty night and there's a whole lot of snow between the mobile and the woodshop where all my C@H's are. It just sounds so good - if anyone has the recipe handy and can post it I'd be very happy! Thanks.

I'm sitting here watching the snow blow by the windows. Wow!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Blueberry Slump by Harborwitch (It's a cold, nasty n...)
Shoot, I've made this...it's very good...but I must have cooked it straight from the book. It's not in my MC. I'll start it, but I may have to come back to it in a few minutes...gotta blanch some spinach!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Blueberry Slump by Harborwitch (It's a cold, nasty n...)
Sharon,

Was this a c@H recipe? I just looked up indexes about Blueberry and Slump and didn't find anything.

???

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Blueberry Slump by Gourmet_Mom (Shoot, I've made thi...)
Sorry I don't have my recipe. If you google "Blueberry Grunt", you should get some recipes. Sure wish I had some blueberries!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Blueberry Slump by Gourmet_Mom (Shoot, I've made thi...)
This is totally unedited, so be careful if something looks weird. I'll back in a few to double check.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mixed Berry Slump

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the Dough
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon lemon zest -- minced
1/8 teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg -- beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 pints raspberries
1 pint blackberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup brandy -- or apple juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine flour, 2 T sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt for the dough in a bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut 2 T butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles small peas. Stir in buttermilk, egg, and vanilla, just until combined.

Heat 2 T butter for the filling in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add berries, 1 cup sugar, and brandy. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until fruit begins to break down, about 3 minutes. Combine lemon juice and cornstarch until mixture forms a smooth slurry. Stir slurry into fruit; simmer mixture until filling thickens.

Drop T of batter onto fruit filling (an ice cream scoop works well for this). Try to keep dumplings from touching each other. Cover slump with skillet lid; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer slump until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving.

Description:
"Depending on the region it comes from, this specialty dessert may be called a grunt."

Okay...edited! You're good to go!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Blueberry Slump by Gourmet_Mom (This is totally uned...)
Thank you all - Daphne you are an angel.
  Re: Re: Blueberry Slump by Harborwitch (Thank you all - Daph...)
There is NO way I'm having you out in the sub zero weather! If I can help...I'm on it! Enjoy...it is very good...the filling, anyway. I want to rework that one as a pie or cobbler. I was a little turned off with the dumplings....too "bread-y". Maybe if I used the small scoop instead of the larger one. I LOVED the brandy in it, though! It really made a difference!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Blueberry Slump by Gourmet_Mom (There is NO way I'm ...)
Ok, so it's a dessert?? I was thinking this better be an alcoholic beverage and a hot one at that......but maybe it's something you take Prozac for???
I won't even tell you what I think Blueberry GRUNT is
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Blueberry Slump by farnfam (Ok, so it's a desser...)
You know, I hadn't thought about that. It DOES sound like a drink! Yea, Grunt does sound disgusting...LOL!

I hope you're feeling better Cis!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Blueberry Slump by Gourmet_Mom (There is NO way I'm ...)
The stir-fry was wonderful - we pigged out, so the slump/grunt is on the menu for tomorrow night. Thank you again Daphne - we'll be feasting tomorrow night.