Friday Dinner, January 8 '10
  Re: (...)
First time I used '10 Doesn't it look odd???

I need ideas. For the first time since I can remember, this day is my very own! No schedule, no list of things to do. I an nap when I want, strap on the xx skis and go outside for a while, bake bread if the urge hits...

What are you all planning to make? All I know is that I want to use the oven! Have I mentioned that my kitchen is unheated?!?!? It's 12 degrees out now.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by foodfiend (First time I used [u...)
Got some beef you can add some onions, carrots, etc. and red wine to and just let braise the day away?? And your house will smell so good - with some homemade bread (such as Cis' cornmeal bread).

We having Jacques' chicken & zesty sauce Daphne made the othr night, haven't done that for so long. Have some sweet tatoes to bake and add some black beans to.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by cjs (Got some beef you ca...)
I have quite a bit of leftover rice and want to make fried rice with it. I have never done this, anyone care to share the method/recipe?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by chef_Tab (I have quite a bit o...)
homemade bread sounds good - we can't get to the kitchen right now so it will be takeouts
  Re: Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by chef_Tab (I have quite a bit o...)
want some 'Choo Choo Train Rice'????

From a Chef's Journey...Home

My youngest son named this fried rice “ChooChoo Train Rice” for some reason none of us have ever figured out. Whatever it’s called it is delicious.

Fried Rice

3 slices bacon, diced
1/2 a small onion, diced
3 cups cooked rice (always best made with rice cooked the day before)
1/2 cup fideo noodles or broken up angel hair pasta, uncooked
2 eggs
3 T. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar

Fry the bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the drippings sauté the onions lightly and stir in the rice and fideo noodles. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes. Break the eggs into a little bowl and stir to blend; add the soy sauce and sugar and whisk together. Drizzle this over the rice mixture and stir continually until eggs are set and all is hot.

CJ’s tip: Other meats can be substituted such as pork, shellfish, chicken. If replacing the bacon, add a little vegetable oil to the skillet before sautéing the onion and add the meat at the time you add the cooked rice and fideo.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by cjs (want some 'Choo Choo...)
Yummo!

I just made this Choo-choo rice for my son for lunch today and he loved it. I actually substituted 1/4 cup of "Mr Yoshida's Original" for the soysauce and left out the sugar.

Now I wish I had made a double batch!

Snowing here east of Cleveland ~ 6 more inches they say. Good thing the pantry & freezer are full. I'm not sure what's for dinner tonight. Probably, shredded beef taco salads in edible bowls.
  Re: Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by cjs (want some 'Choo Choo...)
Jean, your Choo Choo rice sounds really good.

I have a lot of lemon flavored chicken left over from last night. I'll probably chop it up and make soup.
Jan (aka Half Baked)
  Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by foodfiend (First time I used [u...)
I don't know what I will be eating yet, my family will be treating me and my nephew (whose birthday is the 7th) to a meal out. I think we will be going to Outback because its one of my nephew's favorite places to eat. I honestly don't know why he likes that place the best, but I want to go some place he likes.

By the way, how long do I stay a "stranger"? It makes me feel weird like I am a pervert or something. [Image: scared5.gif]
  Re: Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by IcyMist (I don't know what I ...)
...until we figure out you're not a pervert....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Friday Dinner, January 8 '10 by cjs (...until we figure o...)
Gosh, and I am hoping she is a pervert.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!