Breading Tip
  Re: (...)
This is probably one of those, well DUH things that you all do, but I decided to post it anyway. It may be helpful to somebody.

Back in the day, my mother would use a brown paper grocery bag to drop the chicken in when she was doing fried chicken. On one rare occasion that I was making fried chicken I remembered this. I was dreading messing up a pie pan to flour the chicken, as well as the flour mess that always "poofs" out on the counter. That's when I remembered I had been to the liquor store that day....the one here in town still uses brown paper bags. Ever since then, I've started saving them in a drawer so that when I need to flour or bread something, I'll pull out one or two. I just roll down the sides for easy access and bread away. So if you've got paper bags, save them...any size will work.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Breading Tip by Gourmet_Mom (This is probably one...)
They are also the best thing to drain your chicken on. Never drain on paper towels as they can stick and leave some of the paper towel on the chicken.

*sigh* Thanks Daphne...I'm off fried foods since Dec 22nd and the urges are building.
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by DFen911 (They are also the be...)
OIY! I should be...
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by Gourmet_Mom (OIY! I should be......)
I've always used brown paper lunch bags for coating chicken pieces with flour. That's what my mom always did and I never thought there was another way! Now resting the fried pieces on brown paper is new to me and a great tip.
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by HomeCulinarian (I've always used bro...)
Don't make a lot of fried chicken, so hadn't thought of brown paper bags for that. But I do use the big ones, open and flat on the counter when I make things like breaded Cuban steak. Put the dry breading mixture on it. For Cuban steak, you then use the heel of your hand to press the crumbs in and shake. That way you don't have burnt crumbs in your oil. I use this method, for anything I do with dry breading, chicken, veal, fish, etc.
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by Cubangirl (Don't make a lot of ...)
That's what my mom always did and I never thought there was another way! Now resting the fried pieces on brown paper is new to me and a great tip.

I grew up in the Midwest also and my mom taught me the same way -
we also used brown bags for draining french fries and it would keep the
batch warm.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by mjkcooking (That's what my mom a...)
I do the breading tip - another mother that passed it along.

But, I haven't drained anything on them (but that sounds familiar) will do it, for sure.

Also, grocery bags are great for heating bread - another tip from my mom. Sprinkle the outside with a little water before putting in the oven to heat the bread.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by cjs (I do the breading ti...)
It's funny you should mention this. I did fried chicken last Sunday. Hubby walks into the kitchen and sees the brown paper bag on the counter and starts to laugh. He pointed out all the high tech gadgets I've got and I'm using a brown paper bag! And said, "So what?!"

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by BarbaraS (It's funny you shoul...)
That's right! So, all you younguns just remember OLD (any old!) is good!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Breading Tip by cjs (That's right! So, al...)
By the way...not that this is same...but have you ever gone to Olive Garden or any place that you bring home bread sticks? Don't heat them up in the micro..rather put them on top of a toaster slot and push the button down like you're doing a piece of toast. Turn it over and do it again. This crisps (sp?) up the outside and heats them up nicely.

HHmm I'm sensing a toaster oven appliance soon. Suggestions?