These are the ingredients for my Rib Rub:

1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons celery seed
4 tablespoons garlic powder
4 tablespoons onion powder
5 1/4 tablespoons chili powder
5 1/4 tablespoons black pepper
5 1/4 tablespoons paprika

I knew I was low on chili powder, but forgot to check it. Wouldn't you know, there's not more than a tablespoon in there. I'm using a VERY smokey paprika, can I just bump that and add little cayenne? I have no other chili powder type spice. I do have cumin.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Help, quick by Gourmet_Mom (These are the ingred...)
I think a little cayenne, some cumin and more oregano than cumin. Our rub is similar and I have had to substitute before as well
  Re: Help, quick by Gourmet_Mom (These are the ingred...)
Afraid I can't give you an answer, but I can make you laugh. I was making a double pot of chili in the beginning of December...I think. Anyway everything was in the pot except for the chili powder. It called for a full jar of chili powder and after I added it, I let the chili cook nice and slow for about 5 hours. I noticed that the chili did not have that rich chili look to it nor did it smell right. I knew all the ingredients were fresh so I decided for the old taste test. I slurped up a couple of tablespoons of the chili and noticed it was a bit too hot for my taste and then all of a sudden the pit of my stomach started burning and the burning traveled up into my mouth and before long everything was burning. I checked the jar of chili and found out that instead of chili powder I used a whole jar of cayenne by accident. I tried adding several more cans of tomato sauce, tomatoes, etc. and all I did was make the pot of too hot chili bigger and bigger. I ended up having to toss out the whole pot of chili. Have you ever had to dispose of about 7 gallons of chili? Sigh
  Re: Re: Help, quick by IcyMist (Afraid I can't give ...)
Oh dear! I've accidentally put cinnamon in my chili, but never cayenne. YIKES!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help, quick by IcyMist (Afraid I can't give ...)
Daphne, I'm probably too late, but I found this for you - I tried to find my sub, but can't and this is very similar. You probably have the chili powder that is a blend of goodies, if so this will work. If you have straight chili powder, it won't - then I'd just add some hot peppers if you have them

"Chili powder is a blend of spices. You can make your own or substitute the spices by using red pepper, garlic, oregano, cumin, paprika and garlic these are the most common. Some cooks may add cinnamon, clove, mace, coriander, nutmeg or turmeric."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Help, quick by cjs (Daphne, I'm probably...)
Jean and Sonja, thanks. I went to Cook's Thesaurus and it sent me to a recipe. Pretty much what you two posted. What I wound up doing, I had another rub I made over Christmas for something that had a strong chili powder flavor...I'm pretty sure it has some of the same ingredient you listed in addition to the chili powder. So I just subbed that. I'm glad I thought of that, subbing all paprika was going to wipe me out of that, too.

I have GOT to make a run to Sam's Club soon! I buy that kind of thing in the BIG boxes. And I like their brand...Tones and Spice Island. I'm glad they started carrying the Spice Island. It comes in a slightly smaller box...about half way between regular size and the BIG ones. That way, stuff like paprika, oregano, Basil, and Thyme, it don't risk having a spice sitting on the shelf too long.

Anyway, when I do get them, I'm going to make up some large batches of my rubs and mark them by recipe. That way this won't be a problem again. I think I'm pretty satisfied with my rubs. I still think it's funny we don't like the same thing for poultry as we do for pork and beef. WEIRD! One thing I do know, the one for poultry is a kick azz rub!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help, quick by Gourmet_Mom (Jean and Sonja, than...)
Daphne, I buy the big bottles of certain spices/ herbs, too, and keep them in the freezer.

IcyMist, always read the label!

I was making cinnamon-sugar toast many years ago and grabbed what I thought was cinnamon (no label since I "thought I could remember a couple of bottles of spices").

Cumin-sugar toast tastes pretty bad...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Help, quick by foodfiend (Daphne, I buy the bi...)
Vicci, this is why I was so glad to find the smaller Spice Island on the shelf. The BIG bottles of granulated garlic, Lawry's, and Chili Powder I use AT LEAST within a year. The Oregano, Basil, Thyme, and Paprika, not so much. These mid-sized bottles are perfect. ALTHOUGH, now that I'm making rubs so much, I may have to go back to the BIG bottles of Paprika, that or get two...one for the shelf and one for a couple big batches of rub. I also need to see about the mid-sized bottles of Onion Powder, which is in the rubs, also. And the tiny bottles of Celery Seed is not going to work either!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Help, quick by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, this is why I...)
Daphne, do you have a Penzey's anywhere around you? Even if you don't, buying things like celery seed in bulk (4 ounces for $2.45) can be cost effective even with postage figured in if you buy a couple of things. Or, if you have no immediate need, I can pick up what you want the next time I go (perhaps 2-3 weeks) and mail them to you (it would be much less expensive than Penzey's shipping & handling rates, especially for only a few items). Just a thought ... my freezer is full of bags with Penzey's labels!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Help, quick by foodfiend (Daphne, do you have ...)
Alas, no Penzy's. I appreciate the offer, but I'll probably be going to Sam's this weekend. What I WILL do is check the prices at Penzy's against my list before I go. If Penzy's is cheaper, I'll let you know.

Actually, I just had a thought. I have two kids in that town...time for them to start paying back. I'll have one of them go check the prices for me. That way I won't have to make the trip unnecessarily. I would only be going for the spices, because I won't be doing a meat run for several more weeks.
Daphne