Mushroom fair
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Needs heavy food though--Lamb, truffles, major stews, Bolognese pasta, Osso buco, it is a winter wine. The tannins become mellow-earthy."

Thanks Bill, I'm thinking I need to go with Maryann's Venison stew (which is now based on Lorriane's Beef Rib's recipe) or the Osso Bucco....OIY. I'm not ready for veal. The local grocer has a beef cut "osso bucco". Although, if I bought it as "osso bucco" in the city, I could pretend....right?

Geez, I feel like such a pansy! I may just close my eyes and "go for it"! I just know we'd like the osso bucco with the veal! Thanks for the info, though! I knew you would know the right thing to say to steer Marina in the right direction.

BTW, if I do convince William to go to Texas, could we work veal and lamb into the menu? That is, if I don't get to it first.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by Gourmet_Mom ("Needs heavy food th...)
Ok...here goes the recipe...just remember..i am no professional chef...and all the recipes are kind of from grandma that pretty much go by a little bit of this and a little bit of that...oh and dont forget a pinch of that.

Russian mushroom soup.

Handful of sliced porcini mushrooms (unfortunately..you cannot substitute this...soup is based on this flavor) put in a large bowl...probably at least 10 cups of water if not more...and soak, I usually do it overnight. You want the water to be a nice brown color since it is basically a base of your soup.

3 med size onions, chopped
3-4 carrots, shredded
about a cup+ of barley
and a quart of chicken broth(optional)
1-2 cubed potatoes (optional)

Carmelize chopped onions, you want the onions to give a lot of sweetness to your soup, add shredded carrots and again stir fry until carrots are pretty much done and well incorporated into the onions.

If your porcinis have very large slices, i usually take them out and chop them...otherwise
in a big pot...throw your porcini water+ porcinis + onion/carrot mixture and barley and yadd cubed potato or two . Add chicken broth (many russians dont do it and just use the porcini water). If you are not going to use the broth do a little more of mushrooms and more water. I personally prefer with chicken broth.
I usually buy a 3oz jar of dried porcini in my russian store and it normally makes 4-5 soups or 3-4 with no broth.

Simmer the soup for about an hour and add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a dab of sour cream.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by piano226 (Ok...here goes the r...)
The mushroom soup sounds delicious!

"produced from the nebbiolo grape where truffles are harvested in northern Italy" as a wise person once said, "If it grows together, it goes together."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by piano226 (Ok...here goes the r...)
Thank you! Now I just need to see if I can have someone bring down some dried porcini, or maybe bring some back with me the next time I take a trip to the states. It MAY also be possible to find them in San Pedro Sula, but I don't get there by myself very often - usually just when accompanying patients.

Mushrooms and barley make such a great combination. Here's a recipe I've made for years. My mom originally got it from a restaurant that held some cooking classes, so it has an additional ingredient list for making a huge batch of it. This was always a favourite on cold, winter nights, but I've even made it here, in the tropics. It calls for canned, condensed beef broth and water, but could, of course, use bouillon or good beef stock, instead, depending upon what's available.

Mushroom and Barley Soup

Ingredients for 8 portions:
  • 4 T Butter
  • 8 Oz Fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 C Onion, minced
  • 1 Clove Garlic, minced
  • 2 Cans (10 3/4 Oz each) Condensed beef broth
  • 3 1/2 Cans (using the broth can) Water
  • 3 T Tomato Paste
  • 1/4 t Salt
  • 1/16 t Ground black pepper
  • 4 Sprigs Parsley
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 1/2 C Barley
  • 1 1/2 C Carrots, sliced
  • 1 1/2 C Celery, sliced
  • 2 T Butter
  • 8 Oz Fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • Sour cream as needed (optional garnish)
Ingredients for 48 portions:
  • 2 Sticks + 5 T Butter
  • 3 Lb Fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 1/2 Qt Onion, minced
  • 6 Clove Garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 Cans (50 Oz each) Condensed beef broth
  • 6 Qt Water
  • 1 C Tomato Paste
  • 1 1/2 t Salt
  • 1/2 t Ground black pepper
  • 1 Bunch Parsley
  • 6 Bay leaves
  • 3 C Barley
  • 2 Qt Carrots, sliced
  • 2 Qt C Celery, sliced
  • 1 Stick + 3 T Butter
  • 3 Lb Fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • Sour cream as needed (optional garnish)
Instructions:
  1. In a large saucepot melt the butter.
  2. Add mushrooms, onions and garlic.
  3. Sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
  4. Stir the broth, water, tomato paste, salt and pepper into the pot.
  5. Tie together the parsley and bay leaves, add them to the pot and bring to a boil.
  6. Add the barley to the pot.
  7. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
  8. Remove and discard parsley and bay leaves.
  9. Add the carrots and celery to the pot.
  10. Cook, covered, until vegetables are tender – about 15 minutes.
  11. In a large skillet, melt the butter.
  12. Add remaining mushrooms.
  13. Sauté until golden, about 5 minutes.
  14. Add the sautéed mushrooms to the soup and heat everything through.
  15. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by labradors (Thank you! Now I ju...)
The soup sounds delicious, Marina. Now to find some dried porcini mushrooms!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by Gourmet_Mom (The soup sounds deli...)
Where do you live? By the way that link i posted from ebay...the guy sells dry porcini very inexpensively. I just ordered a pound from him.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by piano226 (Where do you live? B...)
I live in Southeastern NC...does he ***** there? I'll check it out. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.