Mushroom fair
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by chef_Tab (Cis, Wegmans here ha...)
Quote:

Cis, Wegmans here has them for $699.00/lb.(yes, almost seven hundred dollars) I crack up everytime I see it. I wanted to take a picture of it, but photos are not allowed.

Really? Are they chained to the display, or behind a security-monitored glass case?????

Marina, how lucky you are to have that wonderful resource!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
"Really? Are they chained to the display, or behind a security-monitored glass case?????"

They are in a plexiglass case of sorts, along side the mushrooms, top shelf, not locked or chained. I know the store policy about photographs because my first shopping trip there I was reprimanded for photographing the neat coffee cup holders designed for the shopping carts. I know I could probably sneak a picture with my cell phone but Wegmans always has so many employees in the produce section.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by chef_Tab ("Really? Are they ch...)
Maybe THEY should be the ones running the airports.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by farnfam (Oh, Jean that sounds...)
The Oregon Truffle Festival is in January, I think. It just dawned on me that before we moved we had planned to go to it this year and spend some time with Billy. (D@m tears!)

If you google Oregon truffles you will find places to mail order them.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by labradors (Maybe THEY should be...)
Good idea Rob, we would save a lot of money too.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by chef_Tab (Good idea Rob, we wo...)
Well if you guys are interested the white and black truffles from oregon they,are much less expensive. They end up to be about 20 dollars per oz. You need just a tiny amount to pretty much overwhelm the whole dish with it. Here is the guy I bought mine from at the fair. I only bought an ounce but i am sure I will be able to make multiple things with it including infusing some butter spread for risotto and pasta.
https://www.oregontruffleoil.com/
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by piano226 (Well if you guys are...)
Marina...how lucky! And a foraging experience, too! WOW! I, too, am envious!

I don't have a clue what they taste like, much less expect to ever have any to cook with, but the 20 bucks an ounce is VERY tempting. I'll be interested in hearing what you make and how many uses you get out of your purchase!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair by Gourmet_Mom (Marina...how lucky! ...)
Hi all,

I just found a guy on ebay from Oregon that sells white truffles for 70 dollars a pound for small ones and 100 for large. The overnight shipping is free.

Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fresh-Oregon-White-T...5e#ht_813wt_820
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by piano226 (Hi all,[br][br]I jus...)
Thanks, Marina! I've got it bookmarked. I need to look and see if they're seasonal. I'd prefer playing with something like this in the summer when I have lots of time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Mushroom fair/EBAY WHITE TRUFFLES by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Marina! I'v...)
Daphne, truffles have a very, very short 'season' - its now or never (til next year or season)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com