Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th?
  Re: (...)
It's a long story, but I'm involved in a group and I'm doing a B'day dinner made up of dishes Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King would have grown up with and my menu for tonight is -

Deviled eggs
Fried Chicken (Yes, Cold Oil Fried Chicken!!!)
Grits
Hushpuppies
Banana Pudding
and we'll drink (as they say in Georgia...) co-cola

Should be fun.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by cjs (It's a long story, b...)
Took some catfish fillets out of the freezer, still making up my mind what to do with them. All suggestions appreciated
This is good for me to have at least got started thinking about it, it's early y'know
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by farnfam (Took some catfish fi...)
That sounds like fun, Jean! We had a change of plans yesterday. We finished off the beef stew, so the turkey pot pie is tonight.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by Lorraine (That sounds like fun...)
beans and cornbread is on my agenda - set the beans to soaking this a.m.

have bunco tonight so will make later on tonight.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by cjs (It's a long story, b...)
I say "Pepsi" LOLOL - that sounds like one of my mama's Sunday dinners, Jean!! I like all of those foods - don't eat them much except for the deviled eggs. Dumb question for me - What is Cold Oil fried chicken?
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by (I say "Pepsi" LOLOL ...)
Quote:

What is Cold Oil fried chicken?

Jean posted that HERE about two and a half years ago. I haven't tried it, yet, since I don't do much fried chicken (sautéed for use in other things, but not "fried chicken"), but a number of other people have given it thumbs up.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Tonight's dinner menu is:

Garlic Butter Chicken (Broiled)
Saffron Rice made with a homemade basic white chicken stock
Romain & Tomato & Celery Salad (we have been working on knife skills here and have way too much diced celery)

Spiced Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

I've already been to the local butcher for the chicken backs and I'm on the stock now. Once it's simmering I'll get the cookies done.
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks, Labs - gosh I have never heard of this - gotta try it!!
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by (Thanks, Labs - gosh ...)
It's good, Sonja - haven't made it for a couple of years, so I'm really looking forward to it and just having fried chicken is such a treat!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Tuesday Dinner, Jan. 12th? by cjs (It's good, Sonja - h...)
I'm definitely going to try it - my family loves fried chicken and you would think that a Southern gal like me would have it down pat. Just have problems every time I make it - I have followed Bobby's, Alton's and Paula's recipes to the letter and my chicken always comes out a little too dark and a tiny bit too dry. I backed off the paprika last time and it was a little lighter - I use a deep fat fryer presently - I did use the cast iron (Alton's recipe) several times. Anyway, I ramble on - so I am going to try this for sure. Again, thanks, Labs, for posting the directions to Jean's recipe.