Lab's Birthday Dinner?
  Re: (...)
Labs, you mentioned your birthday dinner in a thread a day or so ago, but I don't remember hearing what dishes you had decided on and we really should have a separate thread for it so it doesn't get lost.

Will you list what you've chosen, please? And was the review day Monday, Feb. 1st?

(wonder what the Feb. birthdays have planned?????)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by cjs (Labs, you mentioned ...)
From the original thread:
Quote:

Well, since the availability of plum jam, here, is very questionable, and since I was leaning toward Billy's recipe, anyway, I think that's what I'll choose: the Asian-Spiced Pork Stew with Scallion Pancakes. I'll make the side and dessert choices sometime tomorrow. This way, I won't be taking away potential choices from the February people.

So the stew was my choice. I never did say anything about sides or a dessert. but the Scallion Pancakes are already a side for that recipe.

If anyone would like to make a dessert, try this one that I just made:

Moravian Cake
(Makes two 8-inch cakes)

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Instructions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and shortening, and mix until crumbly.
  2. Add sugar, eggs, and milk; mix thoroughly.
  3. Divide batter into two 8 inch round or square greased baking pans.
  4. Dot the top with 1/2 cup butter broken into pieces the size of peas or lima beans.
  5. Sprinkle top with 1/4 cup brown sugar for each cake, sprinkle cinnamon on top.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by labradors (From the original th...)
thanks for posting this. And the review date it Feb. 1st???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by cjs (thanks for posting t...)
Oh I meant to make this ages ago! Excellent choice It'll give Derek time to recouperate, Laura will be back in school so don't have to worry about her not eating it since it's pork.
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by cjs (thanks for posting t...)
Quote:

And the review date it Feb. 1st???

Yes. That's what you had specified in the other thread in order to have enough time between your tostada review and my stew review but still have the rest of February open for all those with February birthdays (who need to start planning and letting us know what to cook!).
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by DFen911 (Oh I meant to make t...)
I've had this on my to do list for ages and ages - how did I miss it. Printed, and going on the hook to make, have everything but the cilantro and red pepper.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by Harborwitch (I've had this on my ...)
gonna be a fun one...
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by cjs (gonna be a fun one.....)
Even William is looking forward to this one...especially the scallion pancakes.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by Gourmet_Mom (Even William is look...)
Just a hint: the recipe says "optional" for the sesame oil. In this kind of dish, I always consider the sesame oil MANDATORY.
  Re: Re: Lab's Birthday Dinner? by labradors (Just a hint: the rec...)
Duh! Who'd ever think sesame oil was optional????? I love it way too much, use it on lots of things.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!