ISO - Pork Belly Recipe
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe by cjs (I haven't looked for...)
Quote:

I want to know what you're going to do with pork jowls

Smoked pork jowls are readily available here, usually in small packages. I try to keep some in the freezer. I usually fry some, then add cabbage and tomatoes and let it cook down. Last night he cut some into lardons, fried it, and used it as a pizza topping. You don't need much, a little goes a long way.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
All I've seen is in large packages. I think I'll see if my butcher will package me a small amount and try it first. Your cabbage and tomatoes reminds me of how Mom used to season butter beans or cabbage. She would fry out some "streak-o-lean" (similar to salt pork, but with a small streak of lean pork in it) before adding the veggies and water to cook. So now the jowls make sense. Thanks, Lorraine.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe by Gourmet_Mom (All I've seen is in ...)
Here's a thread re porchetta (and pork belly) that Bill wanted brought to the top - has lots of ideas in it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) by cjs (Here's a thread re p...)
Quote:

Here's a thread re porchetta (and pork belly) that Bill wanted brought to the top - has lots of ideas in it.

You all take a look at that porchetta---really getting popular--I made one very similar and got the skin like "cracklins" all around--such a variety in textures and flavor--not hard at all--worth it--let the final product dry in fridge 2 days before cooking.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
And, here is one more porchetta idea that I cut out of a Plate magazine a while back - Needs a tad of adjusting for quantity.

PORCHETTA
Executive Chef Erin Williams
Olympic Provisions - Portland, Ore., USA

Yield: 20 servings

Cold water 1 gal
Kosher salt 1 C
Sugar 1/2 C
Pork belly, 10- to 12-Lb 1 each
Olive oil as needed
Italian sausage
4 Lb
Maple syrup (optional) as needed
Sea salt as needed
Eggs as needed
Toast as needed

1. Combine water, salt and sugar. Submerge belly in brine, top with a weight so it stays submerged and refrigerate 24 hours.

2. Remove belly from brine, pat dry, then halve belly crosswise. For each porchetta roast, turn belly skin-side down. Pack 2 pounds sausage down middle of each belly half lengthwise and roll up tightly to form a log. Tie with butcher’s twine. Sear porchetta in olive oil until brown on all sides. Roast in a rotisserie or 375-degree F oven until internal temperature registers 135 degrees F, about 2 hours. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight.

3. To serve, slice porchetta crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Heat olive oil in a cast-iron pan. Brown porchetta on both sides until crispy and thoroughly warmed through. Glaze with maple syrup (if using), season with sea salt, and serve with eggs and toast.

[Image: porchetta.jpg]
doesn't that just look good...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) by cjs (And, here is one mor...)
Jean, you're killing me! That looks so good!
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) by Gourmet_Mom (Jean, you're killing...)
Just had to share! Just saw this on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives! Pork Belly Corn Dogs!
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) by Gourmet_Mom (Just had to share! ...)
Quote:

Just had to share! Just saw this on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives! Pork Belly Corn Dogs!

Episode name?

Restaurant name and city?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Here's a link to the video. Confit Pork Belly Corndog
Daphne
  Re: Re: ISO - Pork Belly Recipe (Porchetta) by Gourmet_Mom (Here's a link to the...)
You're killing me here. We have eaten the most amazing pork belly here - Jean did such an amazing variety! I'll check that out when we get home . . . battery dying!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!