C@H Review Dinner-Review 1/18 - Pre Birthdays
  Re: (...)
I'm bringing this one up to the top for two reasons, it's in the middle of another thread and most folks who might look for it will never find it...and because I screwed up another recipe. I'm about to quite typing the darn things, 'cause even tho I always proofread, I guess I'm not paying close enough attention.

I did not enter all the instructions for the Ruby Slippers cocktail, so I'm editing the recipe and adding it. Just got done cooking everything else, and the others look o.k.

Here's my post of 1/5:
In honor of my having my beloved Issue #60 [Email]C@H[/Email] back in my hot little hands, a dinner review menu from it to start out the New Year. This will give Labs a chance to pull together a Birthday menu...hint, hint, hint

Ruby Sippers (page 52)
makes 6 cocktails

Pulse; simmer with:
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup cranberry juice cocktail
1 cup sugar
Rind and juice of 1 orange

Pour and garnish with:
1 bottle sparkling white wine (such as Italian Proseco), chilled (750 ml)
Whole cranberries

If desired, rub the rims of 6 champagne flutes with an orange wedge and dip in red sugar; set aside.

Pulse cranberries and juice in a food processor until berries are coarsely chopped. Simmer in a saucepan over medium heat with sugar, orange rind and juice until syrupy, about 10 minutes. Strain; cool syrup to room temperature.

Pour 1-2 T. syrup into glasses, then top with sparkling wine. Garnish cocktails with whole cranberries.

NOTE: Use a fine mesh strainer to catch the tiny cranberry seeds. Don't chill the syrup - it will thicken like jelly.

-----

Chipotle Chicken Tostadas (page 43)
makes 24 tostadas
C@H note: Since oven temperatures vary, be sure to bake the tostada chips until they're very crisp. Otherwise, they'll be too chewy.

3 flour tortillas (8")
1 avocado,, peeled and pitted
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup tomato, seeded, chopped
1 T. fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 cup ketchup
3 T. brown sugar
2 T. chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. chilii powder
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
Sour cream, cilantro, lime zest

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Coat both sides of tortillas with nonstick spray. Stack and cut into 8 wedges (24 total); push into cups (standard muffin pan). Bake 6-8 minutes, or until golden.

Mash avocado, sour cream, tomato, lime juice, garlic and cilantro together, salt to taste and hill.

Simmer ketchup, sugar, chipotles, soy sauce, vinegar, chili powder and chicken in a saucepan over medium-low heat for 8 minutes, or until sauce is syrupy.

Top each tostada with 1 T. avocado mixture, then 2 T. chicken mixture.

Garnish each tostada with sour cream, cilantro, and zest.

--------

Black Bean Cakes
(Cuisine at home, December 2006, Issue 60, p. 17)
Makes: 2 Cakes, 1 3/4 Cup Rice, 1 Cup Slaw

For the Slaw—
Puree; Toss with:
1/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
10 sprigs fresh cilantro
1/2 jalapeño, seeded, chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
Salt to taste

For the Rice—
Saute in 1 T. Olive Oil; Stir in:
1/3 cup each of onion, carrot, and celery, diced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 T. tomato paste
1/2 t. each of kosher salt, ground cumin, and paprika
1/4 t. cayenne
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup converted white rice
1 cup chicken broth or water

For the Cakes—
Mash Together; Add:
1 can black beans, drained, rinsed, divided (15 oz.)
1 egg white
1/4 cup corn tortilla chips, ground
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
2 T. onion, grated
1/2 t. each of kosher salt, ground coriander, and chili powder

Fry in; Garnish with:
2 T. olive oil
Lime wedges
Fresh cilantro sprigs

Puree the first 5 ingredients for the slaw in a food processor; toss with cabbage then season with salt. Cover and refrigerate.

Saute vegetables, garlic, tomato paste, spices, and bay leaf for the rice in 1 T. oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered; fluff with a fork and remove bay leaf before serving.

Mash 1/2 cup beans and egg white together for the cakes in a bowl. Add remaining beans, chips, bell pepper, onion, and seasonings. Refrigerate mixture for 10 minutes, then form into two 3"-round cakes.

Fry cakes in 2 T. oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until heated through, 4 minutes per side. Serve the bean cakes with the Mexican rice and slaw. Garnish with lime and cilantro.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No dessert!!! None of us needs it!

Dinner review date will be January 18th - if this sounds good to anyone.

And then Labs can be from January 19th to Feb. 1 review date???????

-----

And, February folks are on their own to figure their dinners out - I hope they do.

FEBRUARY -
esgunn/erin - Feb. 1st
Roxanne - Feb. 5th
Cubangirl- Feb. 10
Chef_Tab/Theresa/Valentines Day..Feb.14
gourmet mom/Daphne - Feb. 23rd
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: C@H Review Dinner-Review 1/18 - Pre Birthdays by cjs (I'm bringing this on...)
I'm set to go for my review on the 18th. I'll start narrowing down recipes for a review for February 22 or even March 1st. The March 1st date would be better, giving room for somebody else to take February 15th (two weeks after Lab's review) and not be too close together. (I hope someone will jump in to take an earlier date to keep the reviews going.) This still leaves time for Shannon AND Bill to choose a review date in March (15th and 29th)...I think?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.