Pumpernickel & Kashkaval
  Re: (...)
One of Roy's Christmas presents was a 3-month cheese of the month from igourmet.com. We used to do this all the time, but we haven't for quite a while.

Yesterday we rec'd our first shipment and there are three cheese for this month. One, the Kashkaval, I read is very good with pumpernickel bread and since Labs was just talking about it and rye, I've been wanting it. So, made a couple loaves today -

[Image: pumpernickel.jpg]

And naturally tasted it with the cheese about 10 minutes out of the oven. OH MY! If you can find this cheese it is just wonderful!

It comes from Bulgaria and is a typical cheese from the Balkans.
"It is aged 6 months, during which time it develops a slightly tangy flavor with a perceptible hint of olve oil. Needless to say, this sheep's milk specialty is almost always served with olives and is a traditional component to Balkan diet.

"One of Kashkaval's unique properties is that it does not melt, making it suitable for grilling (think Halloumi ). Saute in olive oil and crushed garlic until llightly browned on both sides."

There is a slight tang to the flavor, but it is buttery also and just delicious.

Sometime this weekend we'll have sandwiches with the pumpernickel, red onion and tomato - yumm!

Plus, I'm sure we'll have to try the grilling also!

Will let you all know about the other two as we delve in.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Pumpernickel & Kashkaval by cjs (One of Roy's Christm...)
That cheese sounds fantastic and the bread is beautiful!!! Keep us posted, please.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Pumpernickel & Kashkaval by Harborwitch (That cheese sounds f...)
What pretty bread, Jean! I'll keep an eye out for the cheese, but not hopeful.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pumpernickel & Kashkaval by Gourmet_Mom (What pretty bread, J...)
Jean, you are not only a chef, but an artist as well. I would love a picture of that bread framed. And the real thing in my hands and mouth....haha
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Pumpernickel & Kashkaval by cjs (One of Roy's Christm...)
For a declared "non-baker", you bake pretty well!! I do mean pretty, and I smell it thru my screen!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".