Frying a Turkey
  Re: (...)
Okay, remember when I told about setting the grill on fire and Lab's said I should NOT be the one to fry this year's turkey for Thanksgiving? I then came back and told about William setting it on fire when we first got the grill.

WELL...somebody gave William a turkey fryer...I KNOW! So, I need to get some advice so I don't wind up flying to the emergency room tomorrow.

He wants to inject and has the stuff he wants to inject with, but don't you do that just before frying...or not?

He has a rub...now or later?

Okay, you guys! I REALLY need your help! He's VERY determined!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Frying a Turkey by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, remember when ...)
Have a quick garage sale, then buy a fried turkey from someone who does them on order.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Frying a Turkey by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, remember when ...)
Inject the turkey the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight lightly covered with a towel so that it can dry thoroughly. You can rub before it goes in the fridge.

Make sure that the turkey is DRY inside and out. Do not overfill the fryer with the oil. Lower the turkey into the fryer very slowly so that the oil doesn't boil over. For ultimate safety set the fryer on a flat flameproof surface outside. Keep anything that could catch fire far far away. Oh, such a feast Wish we could be there!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Frying a Turkey by Harborwitch (Inject the turkey th...)
" You can rub before it goes in the fridge." Fridge or fryer?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Frying a Turkey by Gourmet_Mom (" You can rub before...)
Either one. It's messier to rub when the bird is damp, but either one works - just make sure the bird is DRY DRY DRY.
  Re: Re: Frying a Turkey by Harborwitch (Either one. It's me...)
Thanks, Sharon. This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for. I looked online and found a site exclusive to frying turkeys, but your info was much more helpful.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Frying a Turkey by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Sharon. Thi...)
Thank you - glad I could help. We did manage to bring the turkey fryer with us - hmmmmmmm. Oh, and peanut oil is widely available here, and a little less than CA.

I think a nice deep fried turkey for Easter.
  Re: Re: Frying a Turkey by Harborwitch (Thank you - glad I c...)
I'll try to go out tomorrow to take pictures, but I have an appointment at noon. I'll leave the camera, but I want HIS attention on the bird and that hot oil. If all goes well, I'm thinking we'll be having a lot of fried turkey in the near future. Fine with me! I have LOTS of uses for leftover poultry!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Frying a Turkey by Gourmet_Mom (I'll try to go out t...)
Oh you are so lucky Daphne! I love deep fried turkey. I cannot think of a thing to add to Sharon's advice either. Sadly, we left both of our deep fryers back in Missouri.........some day........sigh..
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Frying a Turkey by chef_Tab (Oh you are so lucky ...)
Probably also a good idea NOT to use an alcohol-based marinade.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?