Food safety
  Re: (...)
I've been on vacation, but I was wondering if anyone else saw this article and would care to comment on it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?_r=1

I know several of you grind your own beef, this makes me want to invest in a grinder.

Sally
  Re: Food safety by lxxf (I've been on vacatio...)
After the last thread....started by me...I don't think I will comment beyond, I have picked out my grinder. I didn't get it for Christmas, but it's supposed to be on for our Birthdays. I'm looking forward to grinding my own meats. Beyond ground beef, I LOVE ground pork and chicken/turkey, but it is not always readily available. Hopefully, that is in the past! Not to mention pairing this with our new smokehouse....soon to be completed.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Food safety by lxxf (I've been on vacatio...)
Hmmmmmm. I'm glad I grind my own or buy from small local meat processors now. Plus I've got a bunch of venison, and buffalo is very easy to get here.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Food safety by Harborwitch (Hmmmmmm. I'm glad I...)
"But while the school lunch program will not buy meat contaminated with salmonella, the agriculture department does not ban its sale to the general public." - now, doesn't that just make a person feel so safe.

I too, am grinding my own meat and over & above the safety factor, the flavor is just so darn good!!

By the way, I was reading thru Charcuterie the other day - I find something new everytime I pick that book up - and they had a great idea to keep in the back of your mind.

When you're running short of time and have a tougher hunk of meat and no time to braise or stew it up, just grind it up, mix with a little onion or mushroom for moisture, season and maybe a little fat of some kind; then saute it up or make patties. Could even stuff grape leaves or cabbage and braise them. Easy and fast.

I loved that idea.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Food safety by cjs ("But while the schoo...)
Since we don't eat beef, pork, or lamb I use little ground meat, and that is turkey. However, this article makes me wonder if I should buy a grinder attachment for my KA.

But, wait, don't I have one? I'm going to have to check...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Food safety by foodfiend (Since we don't eat b...)
That's what I'm thinking, Vicci, the attachment. I know I don't have that one.
  Re: Re: Food safety by (That's what I'm thin...)
SHOOT! I had it but I sold it a year or two ago because I only used it once. But now, as my forgetful brain cranks up a bit and I'm remembering, it seems to me as though the meat was really sticky when I ground it, and the grinder itself was difficult to clean afterward. Which is probably why I sold it.

Now, since I appear to be "on a roll", if I can only remember where I put my flash drive...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com