Some New Recipes
  Re: (...)
Another website that I'm a part of did a dinner review that we reviewed today and I wanted to share a couple of the recipes I tried that were really good!

A little background - the dinner reviews are based on holidays (not the big ones, but little notations on the calendar and looking to find dishes to reflect them) (That didn't come out right - I don't mean the holidays we select are insignificant, just not the 'major' celebrated one - do not mean any disrepect)

This dinner was based on Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday - he was raised in Georgia, so we went for food from that area. Our menu was to cook whatever recipe we wanted for the following menu items:

Deviled Eggs
fried chicken
grits
hush puppies
banana pudding

The hush puppie recipe was not one I would repeat - a friend here in P.A. makes the best I've ever tasted (he's from New Orleans), but I haven't beenn successful in getting his recipe....yet.

Here were the winners as far as we were concerned -

Parmesan Deviled Eggs
[Image: ParmDevelEggs.jpg]

6 hard-boiled egg
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/16 teaspoon salt
1/16 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/16 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon parsley
Garnish with:
sliced black olives
pimiento-stuffed green olive
fresh dill weed
chili powder
caviar

Halve the eggs lengthwise and remove the yolks or, halve the eggs crosswise, remove the yolks, and trim the ends of the whites to stand flat. Sieve or mash the yolks.

Combine yolks, lemon juice, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Stir parmesan cheese into yolk mixture. Mix well. Season to taste with salt, white pepper, and cayenne.

Spoon into a pastry bag, fitted with a star tip. Pipe into egg whites. Garnish as desired. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.

-------
then my cold oil chicken (I make it about every 10 years)
[Image: coldoilchixdone.jpg]

Corn & Goat Cheese Grits
These have to be the best grits I've ever tasted - they even beat the old family favorites Shrimp & Grits. Just delicious!

4 cups water
1/2 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Kosher salt
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large Spanish onion -- coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
3 garlic cloves -- coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears) or one 10-ounce package frozen corn kernels
Freshly ground pepper
4 ounces fresh goat cheese

In a medium saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and 1 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal. Cook the grits over moderate heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until thickened and the grains are tender, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the corn mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until the mixture is just smooth.

Stir the pureed corn and the goat cheese into the grits, season with salt and pepper and cook just until heated through. Transfer to a bowl and serve.

Recipe by Bobby Flay

-------
Banana Pudding
[Image: BananaPudding.jpg]

Really good also - and a little different. I found my banana extract had evaporated, so I subbed brandy and what a great flavor it gave and the bananas were so ripe that the pudding didn't really need the extra banana flavor boost.
For the pudding:
5 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
3 tablespoons banana liqueur (or 1 teaspoon banana flavoring)

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 ripe bananas
-----
For the crumble:
1 cup vanilla wafers (about 15 cookies)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Pinch salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter -- melted

To make the pudding:

Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside. Bring the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat and whisk a little at a time into the egg mixture.

Once the bottom of the bowl is warm, slowly whisk in the remaining hot milk. Pour the mixture back into a clean medium saucepan (cleaning the saucepan prevents the pudding from scorching), add the banana liqueur, and whisk over medium-low heat until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Cook while constantly whisking until the pudding is glossy and quite thick, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes longer. Transfer the pudding to a clean bowl.

Add the vanilla and butter and gently whisk until the butter is completely melted and incorporated. Press a piece of plastic wrap onto the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 4 hours.

To make the crumble:

While the pudding sets, heat the oven to 325°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place the wafers in a resealable plastic bag and seal (make sure there is no air in the bag prior to sealing).

Using a rolling pin or a flat-bottomed saucepan or pot, crush the vanilla wafers until they're coarsely ground. Transfer them to a small bowl and stir in the sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Use a spoon to evenly stir in the melted butter, transfer to the prepared baking sheet, and toast in the oven until brown and fragrant, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.

(The crumbs can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature or frozen for up to 2 months; re-crisp in a 325°F oven for 6 to 7 minutes if necessary.)

To serve:

Slice the bananas in half crosswise and then slice in half lengthwise so you have 4 quarters. Slice the banana quarters crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces and divide between 6 custard cups or martini glasses (sprinkle with a squeeze of lemon juice if you like-this helps prevent browning).

Whisk the pudding until it is soft and smooth, about 30 seconds, and then divide it between the custard cups. Top with the vanilla wafer mixture and serve. (If not served immediately, the pudding will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, with plastic wrap intact. Sprinkle the crumbs on just before serving.)

-------
So, that was our second dinner review and it was a lot of fun. Those Grits are something to behold!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Some New Recipes by cjs (Another website that...)
The deviled eggs and grits are right up my alley! Thanks, Jean.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by Lorraine (The deviled eggs and...)
Was thinking about you the other day, Jean, when I saw a news story on TV. The local cable systems provide the Denver feeds of ABC, CBS and NBC, so we see Denver news programs.

Well, one school in the Denver area decided to have a menu similar to yours to honour Martin Luther King, Jr., and that wound up sending a whole bunch of idiots into an uproar about insensitivity to cultural stereotypes, etc., etc., etc.

Simply amazing.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by labradors (Was thinking about y...)
what a tempest in a teapot
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by (what a tempest in a ...)
Oh for crying out loud!!! I can think of a heck of a lot more important things to complain about than that. And to say it was demeaning, what a crock....

(please, Lord, don't let anyone on here be insulted by what we did...)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by cjs (Oh for crying out lo...)
We're having pork chops, turnip greens, black eye peas, and cornbread for dinner tonight--I hope I'm not offending anyone.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by cjs (Oh for crying out lo...)
We're doing our dinner tonight - I'll review tonight. I AM stealing your grits recipe though - that sounds perfect.

I am amazed at people, I told my oldest about the dinner and she made a couple of rude menu suggestions involving a beer brand and fruit. When I gasped in horror she said that's what "the ol'boys" she knew would do. Breaks my heart. She wasn't raised like that.

Oh, we're doing Maya Angelou's banana pudding.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by Harborwitch (We're doing our dinn...)
darn, I wish I'd remembered her book!!

Oh Sharon, the grits are so darn good!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by cjs (damn, I wish I'd rem...)
OH how lovely! I've been wanting banana pudding lately, yum.
I really stink at fried food, it never ever comes out right and I'm sick of wasting oil trying but I'll be happy to eat yours And the deviled eggs with the caviar, YUM....no one taking religious offense over that....jk
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Some New Recipes by cjs (damn, I wish I'd rem...)
I wish I could find the box with her cookbook!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!