What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/21??
  Re: (...)
What is everyone up to tonight? (darn Cis and her gnoochi, can't get them out of my mind! )

We're having leftovers from my aunt's care pkg. - lamb meatloaf and mashed potatoes & sweet tato mixture. And a salad with the Cranberry, Walnut & gorgonzola dressing. Have some asparagus left too.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/21?? by cjs (What is everyone up ...)
1/20 was yesterday: Wednesday.

Tonight, I'll be making Marmahón con Pollo from a recipe that a friend's housekeeper wrote down. It's one of those recipes that doesn't state the quantities of anything, so I decided to try it, first, before posting a translation of this in response to your request for the recipe.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by labradors (1/20 was yesterday: ...)
Ha! Rob, I just noticed your new quote. That movie was so funny.

I think I need to make schnitzel tonight. Daughter number one is leaving us again and it is her favorite meal. In fact when I ask her to rate any new recipe, nothing gets a 10 because that is reserved for schnitzel, and possibly a well cooked steak. We call her the carnivore.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by chef_Tab (Ha! Rob, I just noti...)
"before posting a translation of this in response to your request for the recipe." waiting with bated breath...

"1/20 was yesterday: Wednesday." - but, I was out of town, so it doesn't count as a day....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by cjs ("before posting a tr...)
ROTFL!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by labradors (ROTFL!...)
Vegetarian chili. Still raining here and loving it!
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by DFen911 (Vegetarian chili. St...)
It's raining here too, but I'm not loving it. Temps are dropping and there's already LOTS of water on/in the ground!

We're having Baked Ziti with a fresh salad....maybe a little garlic bread.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by Gourmet_Mom (It's raining here to...)
Mac and Cheese for the kids and Steve and I are having Chicken Papradell witht he broccoli salad on top, usuing leftover beer can chicken. Yum!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by Gourmet_Mom (It's raining here to...)
Here is the recipe (translated, formatted and with my own notes) that the cook/housekeeper of a Honduran friend of mine uses. Of course, it's one of those where nobody actually measures any quantities, so adjust everything according to your taste. Since I made this today, I have specified the quantities that I used.

Marmahón con Pollo
(Approx. 4 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp Butter or margarine
  • 1/2 Cup Marmahón
  • 4 Cups water
  • Salt
  • 2 Chicken legs
  • 3 Cubes Chicken bouillon
  • 1 Onion, coarsely chopped
  • 1 Green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, crushed
  • 1 Rib Celery, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Basil, finely chopped
  • 2 Tsp Especias (see notes)
  • 1 Tsp Ground cumin
Instructions:
  1. Sauté the marmahón in butter until golden.
  2. Separately, boil the chicken in salted water until cooked.
  3. Remove the chicken, allow it to cool slightly (so you can handle it), then pull the meat off the bones, shred it and put it back into the pot.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients and the marmahón.
  5. Bring the mixture to a boil.
  6. Reduce the heat and simmer until the marmahón is cooked and has absorbed most of the liquid.
Notes:
  • Marmahón is a small, round pasta about the size of BBs. It is sometimes called "Israeli Couscous," but it is larger than couscous.
  • Chicken breast may be used, as well. I just used what I had on hand. For the amount I made, I was going for about 2 cups of cooked chicken.
  • Especias is the Spanish word for "spices," but when a Honduran cook mentions that word in a recipe such as this, the meaning is not just any spices, but a blend of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and pepper.
  • With the exception of the chicken and the marmahón, all ingredients are al gusto ("to taste").
  • Boiling the chicken in salted water, then adding bouillon cubes later is VERY Honduran - especially since canned or boxed chicken stock is not that common, here, and is hardly ever used by the Hondurans. If you wish to boil the chicken in real stock, or bake the chicken then use stock later, that's okay - just not very Honduran.
  • Marmahón may be cooked a number of ways, but the Hondurans cook it similarly to the "sauté and simmer" concept used for rice. It takes much more water than rice or couscous would use.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 1/20?? by labradors (Here is the recipe (...)
We're doing stuffed bell peppers.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".