READ recipes!!
  Re: (...)
Ok so last night my menu was to make vegetarian chili. I had prepped all the ingredients.

Read recipe again...yep have it, have it, did it. So I begin the cooking process. All is going great...read the recipe for step 2 and start that - making the sauce that is added to the vegetables.

So as everything is on it's final stages it's time to taste for seasoning. Get out the big tasting spoon and OMG!!!! My eyes! My eyes I can't see...I can't breathe...my tongue...it has actually melted to the roof of my mouth.

I am hoping to have my sense of taste back in February.

Here's where it went horribly wrong -

All the cans of stuff that went into were either 14.5 oz or 28 oz.

1 canned chipotle in adobe sauce plus 1 Tbl of adobo sauce.

Which of course I saw as 1 can of chipotles in adobo sauce. I had bought 2 cans since I knew I'd need that extra tablespoon of sauce.

Yeah...it was an interesting dish. I tried to save it by diluting it with vegetable stock, thinking ok it won't be a thick chili it'll be a soup. Added 1 28 oz box of stock...nope still deadly...added another.

Chili /soup was pronounced dead at 7:37pm
  Re: READ recipes!! by DFen911 (Ok so last night my ...)
Sorry to laugh at your pain, but it's just so funny.
So what'd you, I mean Derek end up eating for supper. I'm pretty sure you couldn't eat anything after that.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: READ recipes!! by farnfam ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Oh wow, what a taste that must have been!!! (we're not laughing at you, just with you... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: READ recipes!! by DFen911 (Ok so last night my ...)
That chipolte in adobo is potent!!!!!!!!!! That mistake has been made in this cooking house as well -
  Re: Re: READ recipes!! by (That chipolte in ado...)
Poor Denise. I have misread recipes before too. I think there are just days we aren't as focused. My funny "spicy story" is that hubby likes things thai spicy hot. He likes to grow or buy habeneros, dry and crush them, and then sprinkle those flakes on his food. Once, he used my coffee grinder to grind the habeneros and did not tell me. The next morning I made coffee as usual and that first cup was very interesting. Apparantly the oils floated to the top and I was the lucky recipient. No amount of cream would cool that cup down. The down side is the next day when your body decides to eliminate the chili. Talk about red-eye. teehee.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: READ recipes!! by chef_Tab (Poor Denise. I have ...)
Denise, I have done that exact same thing. It was the first time I had ever used Chipotles, so I didn't now much about them. Luckily it was in a marinade so I didn't get the whole effect in the dish - but it was HOT!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: READ recipes!! by esgunn (Denise, I have done...)
Poor Denise! I came close to doing the same thing once, lucky for me it was confusing teaspoons with tablespoons, so I can just imagine!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: READ recipes!! by esgunn (Denise, I have done...)
geez, talk about hot coffee....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: READ recipes!! by chef_Tab (Poor Denise. I have ...)
Quote:

Talk about red-eye. teehee.

Now that's funny right there...

Denise I have been there, done that with the chipotles! I don't remember what recipe I made. I think it was chili and nearly blew my eyeballs out of their sockets. It was my first time with chipotles too. Live and learn.

Funny thing is the next day, my husband saw one of the opened cans of chipotles in the fridge. He decided to make us a yummy breakfast burrito. My hubby seldom cooks and rarely experiments with cooking different things so I never even gave the opened can of chipotles a second thought. I anticipated I was going to get a scrambled egg, bacon, green onion, cheese on a tortilla kinda thing.

Well, I did, but it was also stuffed full of chipotles in adobo. Blew my eyeballs out again! I even picked them out of the middle and it was STILL hot. I layed of the chipotles for a while.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: READ recipes!! by luvnit ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
When Jane makes her pickled asparagus she puts in a serrano pepper for a little spice. I talked her into using a habanero in a jar once--BIG difference!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".