An interesting instructional website I just found
  Re: (...)
Just discovered Free Culinary School. It has all kinds of podcasts and videos of lessons about the techniques of cooking. Of course, I've JUST found it, so I don't know how good it all is yet, but it's certainly worth a try.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by labradors (Just discovered [url...)
Thanks for sharing, Labs. I've got it bookmarked.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for sharing, ...)
Me, too - thanks, Labs.
  Re: Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by (Me, too - thanks, La...)
It's under my Favorites, too. Thank you!
Jan (aka Half Baked)
  Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by labradors (Just discovered [url...)
Thanks for the link!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by BarbaraS (Thanks for the link!...)
Now that looks interesting and best of all, he's teaching the correct Mother Sauces!!!! Bechamel, Espagnole, Tomato, Hollandaise and Veloute.

It's amazing what you can do with dishes if you have these five sauces down pat and then move on to some of the small sauces.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by cjs (Now that looks inter...)
Jean, that's actually how I found the site. I've really wanted to learn more about the mother sauces, and that site came up in one of my searches.

My biggest obstacle in studying the mother sauces is going to be seeing if I can find veal bones. Veal, itself, just isn't sold here, so I'll need to ask around. If I find any, the question may be one of TRUSTING them. After all, if they don't USE veal, what was the reason the bones of a calf became available?
  Re: Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by labradors (Jean, that's actuall...)
What a fun mission, Labs! A few months ago, our friend, Houseboat Don from Portland, came up and wanted to learn the sauces. We spent the whole weekend making the mother sauces and a number of small sauces. We had a ball.

I still have dibs and dabs of them in the freezer.

It must have been a 3-day weekend when he was here, 'cause I remember we spent the third day making dishes using the different sauces. of course not all of them, but we sure tried.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: An interesting instructional website I just found by cjs (What a fun mission, ...)
Sounds like fun, Jean. Since I'm not professionally trained at all, this is something I've wanted to do for a long time.