Lemon Sauce?
  Re: (...)
I'm looking for a nice, light lemon sauce to serve with some fried chicken cutlets to serve over angel hair pasta with steamed or roasted broccoli for tonight. Preferably, no cream or not much. I've overdone Bill's recipe lately and I've done piccata and liked it. I was just wondering if there was something different out there.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Lemon Sauce? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm looking for a ni...)
Avgolemono (Greek Egg-Lemon Sauce)

Ingredients:
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice, strained
  • 1 cup hot chicken broth
Instructions:
  1. Whisk the yolks until pale and frothy.
  2. Slowly add the lemon juice and whisk for another minute.
  3. Add one third of the broth in a steady stream, constantly whisking.
  4. Add remaining broth.
  5. Transfer mixture to a small saucepan and heat gently.
  6. Whisk while heating, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
  7. Do not boil.
  8. Serve immediately.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Lemon Sauce? by labradors ([b][i]Avgolemono[/i]...)
This sounds good Labs. I'll have to save it for another time, though. I've already been to the store, and I don't think I have quite enough lemons for this. The lemons I have in the fridge, if memory serves, have not been yielding much liquid. I'm intrigued by the egg yolks. I guess I'll go with the piccata, minus the capers...the local store manager laughed at me when I asked...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lemon Sauce? by Gourmet_Mom (This sounds good Lab...)
Well, it's almost 4 here, so you've probably already had dinner, but...

It's fun to check out the salad dressings/chutneys/relishes you have in the fridge/pantry. Thin them (if needed) with a little wine or stock and use for a sauce made with the 'goop' after you've cooked your chix and make enough to coat the pasta. Never tastes the same twice. (doing this on baked potatoes is good too. )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lemon Sauce? by cjs (Well, it's almost 4 ...)
Yeah, if you're going to make a lemon sauce, you'll need to use lemons that actually have juice. LOL!

It is an interesting cobmination. When prepared as above, it is used as a sauce for chicken or fish. Otherwise, they beat the egg whites to soft peaks, beat the yolks into that, temper the eggs with a mixture of the lemon juice and some of the hot stock, then add that into the rest of the stock to make a soup - sometimes with chicken and orzo or rice added, as well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?