Weather-like thoughts...
  Re: (...)
Now, I know that Rob lives where it's always summer. Denise, too. And Shannon. Bill, well, most of the time. But for the rest of us, it's been a long winter (for some more than for others) and it's only January.

But has anyone else been experiencing some unusually mild weather in the past couple of days? I'll tell you, it certainly has made a difference in my mood!

Blue skies, sun, and almost 50 degrees today, it felt like summer. I grilled dinner outside. I also cleaned gutters, swept the garage out, and went for an almost-4-mile run because I just didn't want to go back inside!

Alas, although tomorrow is forecast to be warm, it is to be pouring rain and then... a high temp of 29 by midweek. *sigh* But I am grateful for the "break". And that the ice has finally melted off of the driveway!

So, does anyone else want to report, in a happy way, about their weather?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Weather-like thoughts... by foodfiend (Now, I know that Rob...)
Oh, Vicci! Like you, our weather has been WONDERFUL! I reported last Sunday, we put the top down on the car! Sadly, we've had several days of wet weather this week, which kinda spoiled the mild temps. And as you know, I'll be getting that wet weather you're expecting later tonight or tomorrow. But there's a couple days next week that look good! I just wish it would stop raining for more than a couple of days! I'll have to say, though, that after those weeks of freezing temps at the first of January, I'll put up with the mild, yet wet, weather.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I once read, from someone, I love the sun for it warms my bones, I love the rain for it cleanseth my soul, and I added, I love the cold for it cools my passion, and I love the warmth for it makes me grow--I love every season--the fall & winter more than most of you, because we have so little of it. Just remember to love life.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Weather-like thoughts... by Old Bay (I once read, from so...)
So true...I have very little winter, also. I just get so gloomy when it's wet for so many days out of every week...and it's only January. March is usually the worst. I need sunshine...even if it's cold out! Just trying to count my blessings I guess.
Daphne
"Summer" is a relative thing. When you were all getting the super-cold weather, we were getting a series of a few cold fronts during which the temperature plummeted from 85 to 60. I know 60 is balmy in contrast to what you guys had, but a 25-degree temperature drop over the matter of just a few hours is quite dramatically noticeable - especially by the locals who, didn't grow up in the Northeastern U.S.!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Weather-like thoughts... by labradors ("Summer" is a relati...)
Wow, Labs, that IS quite a drop for you guys! I didn't realize that cold snap went that far south!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Weather-like thoughts... by labradors ("Summer" is a relati...)
It was the hottest day in deepest darkest Africa. The birds were silent in the trees, their little wings plastered to their sides by the overpowering heat and humidity. Not a breeze was felt in the jungle. It was hot!! The humidity was stifiling. The animals lay on the jungle floor, not moving--the rainforest was quiet--to make a sound required too much energy. A river ran thru it, but the water was tepid, thick, almost without liquid characteristics--it was hot!

Suddenly, we see a pair of eyes rise above the thick, tepid water--it is an hippottomi!! It had submurged its huge body in the thick water, trying to cool its mass, to no avail. At last it raises it snout thru the water, and it speaks to anyone, and no one, and says--"It's hard to believe, its, its, only Tuesday"
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Weather-like thoughts... by Old Bay (It was the hottest d...)
Vicci, I would imagine the weather here is similar to yours. I know exactly what you mean, I felt such a lift in my spirits. I even had the sunroof open in the car. After a week of back pain, it was extra theraputic. In fact, I felt like Spring could be just around the corner, though I do know better. Everything seemed that much brighter, happier, and more delicious.

Last Sunday hubby and I attended a meeting of the American Wine Society where we were tasting New York Reds. The guest speaker, owner of at least three large vineyards in New York, started off by telling us about a study done that linked mood with how one rated wine. One of the examples was that music playing in the background changed the ratings given to a certain wine. I found this quite interesting and as we continued to taste his various offerings, my daughter was secretly emailing the Minnesota football score to me. I did find the wine to become more delicious as the Vikings dominance in the game increased.

My point being, I was such a fabulous cook the past few days.....everything tasted better after a warm sunny day.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Weather-like thoughts... by chef_Tab (Vicci, I would imagi...)
We, too, had wonderful afternoons the last two days - in fact the first 2 afternoons of running outside with our books and glasses of wine, well, yesterday wasn't wine, it was Vicki's Mermaid Martini ( ) It was wonderful! Even got to grill the pizza instead of baking it.

Now, we're supposed to get some rain, again the next couple days. Crap.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Weather-like thoughts... by cjs (We, too, had wonderf...)
Everything's relative. The last 3 days have been wet and cold here in Tucson with snow on the hills right out our door. I love it. Having grown up in California, anytime the weather changes and you actually have some weather, I'm a happy camper. I do know what you mean tho since we lived in Colorado Springs for 14 years before moving here, and we were always happy when summer arrived.
Shannon