Ground Chili Paste
  Re: (...)
I thought I'd stir fry the bok choy with some veggies I have on hand and found a nice recipe that calls for Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. I obviously don't have this, so I went looking for a recipe for that. I found several, including one from Jean...LOL! My problem is, I don't have the ground chili paste. In researching this I found the following: "This is a sauce made from chili, garlic, vinegar and salt and comes in a small plastic jar, frequently with a green lid. It is similar to Sriracha sauce, but is chunkier and not as spicy."

Does this mean I could substitute Sriracha sauce? If not, does anyone have a suggestion? Cooks Thesaurus only suggestion that I could use was 1/4 the amount of red pepper flakes. I'm thinking the Sriracha sauce would be better. I'm guessing I'd have to play with the amount of Sriracha to keep it from getting too hot.

Here's the sauce ingredients in case that helps. (Jean's version)
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce - cheflayne

3 tablespoons Ground Chili Paste
2 teaspoons Garlic -- finely chopped
1/2 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
2/3 cup Chicken Stock
2/3 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
4 teaspoons Cornstarch
4 tablespoons Cilantro -- chopped

This seems like a lot of trouble for 2 T of the stuff, but this stir fry sauce just sounds so good.

STIR-FRY SAUCE:
2 Tbsp. oyster sauce (or vegetarian oyster sauce)
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. fish sauce (or vegetarian fish sauce - available at Vietnamese food stores)
2 Tbsp. sweet Thai chili sauce (available by the bottle at larger grocery stores OR Asian/Chinese foods stores)
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 squeeze lime juice (about 2 tsp.)
1 Tbsp. pureed garlic, OR 7-8 cloves minced garlic
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Ground Chili Paste by Gourmet_Mom (I thought I'd stir f...)
Just make it Daphne and you can use it on eggs, rice, sausages - it's just so good!! dip some oven fries in it. (oh you don't make oven fries, do you) And it keeps in the fridge for a long time. Drizzle on a veggie pizza....shall I go on?? (I haven't tried it on ice cream, tho

I didn't give my opinion on the Sriracha - you could certainly give it a try. The one I use is Sun Luck's Hot Chili garlic sauce in the Aisan section. does that help?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by cjs (Just make it Daphne...)
Thanks, Jean! I'm off to play!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks, Jean! I'm o...)
Sriracha may work as a substitute for the paste. It's certainly hot enough!

The recipe I use is in this earlier post, but it doesn't claim to be Thai. Jean's is probably closer for that
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by labradors (Sriracha may work as...)
Labs, I don't have cornstarch. After discovering tapioca, I quit buying it....and yes, I had to use flour for the pork. ANYWAY, the chili paste calls for 4 teaspoons of cornstarch. Do I use 4 t flour or tapioca. Jean got away from me. I tried to pm her while she was still on, but..... She has said she uses tapioca for thickening before. Whatcha think?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, I don't have c...)
Wish I could help you, but I'm not familiar with substituting tapioca for cornstarch, other than having seen it mentioned a few times. Google wasn't much of a help, and the Cook's Thesaurus wasn't very specific. Here, cornstarch is easily available, and tapioca only just started appearing about a year ago.
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by labradors (Wish I could help yo...)
ROFLOL! William just learned a VALUABLE lesson, DON'T dip cornbread in sauces on the stove! Yep, it was the chili sauce. I bet he won't do that again!

Thanks anyway Labs. I save what's left of the sauce and see what Jean says later. I only needed 2 T for the stir fry sauce. I feel sure it's just for the heat. The both sauces are VERY good! I'll be making a larger batch of this stir fry sauce to keep in the fridge. It's awesome!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by Gourmet_Mom (ROFLOL! William jus...)
Good thing you weren't cooking a batch of soap (yes - soap, not soup).
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by labradors (Good thing you weren...)
To be honest, I think he would have preferred it! He soaked that piece of cornbread in that chili sauce...LOL!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Ground Chili Paste by Gourmet_Mom (To be honest, I thin...)
Jean, William says thank you! While the cornbread incident was unpleasant, he said it mostly took him off guard. When serving his plate, he asked what that sauce in the pot was for, and I told him why I'd made it and that it was not intended for anything else. He asked if he COULD use it on dinner. He wound up using about half a cup of the stuff with dinner. HE LOVES IT! So thanks! I guess I need to buy some ground chili paste and cornstarch so I can make it correctly next time. Better double the recipe, at least.
Daphne