Breaded Cuban Steak
  Re: (...)
Daphne as requested. I always make more than one meal at a time. This is time consuming but also very addictive. My mom calls it "the miracle of the bread and the fishes" because it is amazing how many steaks you can get out of a small piece of meat.

EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

BREADED CUBAN STEAK*****

Servings: 8

I've tried to put measurements and times as a guidance, however I've never had a recipe. I do it all by eye. So don't worry if you have too much or not enough.

3 lbs. London Broil
2 TBS. Granulated garlic divided
3 tsps. kosher salt divided
1 tsp. ground black pepper divided
3 x-large eggs
3 cups Cuban cracker crumbs or finely ground breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Matzo meal (optional)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Saffola oil (if making large quantities at a time)

Partially freeze steak so it is a little hard. Make large pieces of steak by cutting around any gristle or large pockets of fat. Try to make each piece no larger than your hand span. For each piece slice horizontally into as many thin slices as possible. Use a very sharp knife only. (Forschner® 6" Stiff Straight Boning Knife works wonderfully here). Carefully put your non-knife hand on top of the steak, and put the knife under as close as possible without touching your fingers. Slice across the steak as evenly as possible. It is better to slice down, away from your hand even if you get thicker slices. Don't worry if the slices are not quite even or have holes in part of the steak. If any of the steaks have leftover fat or gristle, trim if off after pounding. As you cut place the cut steaks on a large plate.

After all the steaks are cut, place then individually on a single layer, back on the largest cutting board you have. You will not be able to fit all the steaks at one time. Do not overlap. Sprinkle each steak with kosher salt, ground black pepper and granulate garlic. With the flat part of a meat pounder, or rubber mallet, pound each steak as flat as possible. Do not worry about holes. Some steaks will require more pounding than others. When the steaks are even in width transfer to a plate with the seasoned side down. Sprinkle with a bit more of the seasonings. Repeat the procedure with the rest of the steaks.

After all the steaks have been pounded, clean up your board and your knife. Place the eggs in a large bowl, add the remaining seasonings and about 1/4 cup water, and whisk until foamy, Place the pounded and seasoned steaks in the bowl with the eggs and stir to coat all the pieces. If there appears that there is not enough egg mixture to go around, beat another egg with pinches of more seasoning in a measuring cup and add to the bowl. The steaks should appear to absorb most but not all of the eggs.

On a cut and flattened out large brown grocery bag (the side with no writing), place some of the cracker or breadcrumbs. I sometimes add a bit of Matzo meal, to make the crumbs go farther. Stir together and then take most of the crumbs from a place in the center toward the edge of the counter, leaving just a fine coating of breadcrumbs. (the majority should be at the sides.) Using tongs take one steak out at a time, shake carefully over bowl, and place in the prepared center of the breadcrumbs. From the sides add breadcrumbs to the top to cover. Using the heel of your very clean hands, press the crumbs onto the steak, it is completely covered in breadcrumbs. Turn and check that the steak is fully covered in crumbs. If not add more to it from the sides and press as before. You will be amazed at how much the steaks "grow" and how any holes don't really show. Lift steak with tongs, shake off excess and place on clean plate. Continue the procedure with the rest of the steaks adding more breadcrumbs and matzo meal (if using) as needed. You may find that the paper is retaining wet bits of bread crumbs. Scrape those carefully to the side, and use if the area is not too wet. If it is, move to a dry area of the paper and proceed as above.

As stated in the comments, I do most of this by eye without measuring, so you may end up with more egg or more crumbs. Those not put on the paper, can be stored for another use. Those in the paper can be added to any remaining eggs for a nice cook's treat. However, If you have a lot of eggs left, you can use them to make steak flavored scrambled eggs. I usually have just enough to mix with the crumbs, if not enough add a tiny bit of water at a time, until you can form little balls of breading that stay together. Shape into ovals and place with the steaks. If going to freeze for later use, skip the next step.

Cover the plate and place in the refrigerator. They may be cooked immediately, but benefit from a stay in the fridge to let the mixture really adhere to the steaks. Bring to room temp before cooking.

If the steaks are to be frozen, place carefully flat preferably in a large food saver bag., but can use Ziplock bags as well. If using the latter it is best to wrap the steaks in good quality plastic wrap before putting in the bags. Try to keep the steak pieces as flat as possible, but they can be stacked with pieces of parchment in between layers. Place in food saver and vacuum seal or place in Ziplock bag and take as much air out as possible. Label and date. I put the number of steaks so I know how many it will serve).

When ready to cook, place oil in the largest skillet (I use a Cuisinart 5 qt. sauté pan) and put oil in the pan. Turn on the heat, add oil and when it appears to be hot, but not smoking, add one of the cook's treats if you have any. If they don't start to fry immediately, the oil is not hot enough. If they start to get dark brown fast, it is too hot, so lower the temp and try with the next piece. Put one of the smaller pieces of steak in the oil, if the temp is right put your largest pieces in, one at a time. Leave room between the pieces so they will fry and not steam. The steaks should be thin enough, that by the time you've filled the pan, you are ready to flip the first one. They should be golden brown. As soon as the first is done, transfer to a baking pan covered with two paper towels. If you have a warming plate, place the baking pan on it to keep warm. If not you can blot on a double paper towel and place in a sheet pan in a low degree oven to keep warm. Proceed with the next batch. If you are cooking these at the right temp. they should absorb very little oil. However If the oil does get too low, add more and increase the temperature to get the oil hot again before adding more steaks. The key is to always fry them in hot, not smoking oil, If you have some that look too light, put them back in the oil.

The steaks are better when they are thin. However, it takes a while to get them really thin for some people. If they are a bit thicker, they will take longer to fully cook. These are always cooked fully.

Leftover cooked Breaded Cuban Steaks can also be eaten as leftover or frozen. Follow the directions above for freezing. To store in fridge, I just put them in a Ziplock bag. The best way to reheat these is to place in a toaster oven, using a convection bake setting. A pan with holes at the bottom works best, but a plain shallow pan will work as well. Bake until you see the tops shimmer from the oil. Open the oven, take out and touch one. If they are hot you are good to go, if not put back in. About 10 minutes should do it. Of course, they can also be reheated in the microwave, but they are as good as new if done in the convection-bake setting.

Preparation Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes Total Time: 3 hours

MINE
  Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by Cubangirl (Daphne as requested....)
This looks soooo goood. I wish I could do it right now!

I WILL do it soooooon.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by luvnit (This looks soooo goo...)
¿...pero cómo se dice "London Broil" en español? ¿Falda? ¿Y qué puedo sustituir en vez matzo meal?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by labradors (¿...[i]pero cómo se ...)
Thanks for sharing this recipe Cubangirl. It reminds me of making schnitzel, only with beef instead of pork or veal. I would imagine as a shortcut, one could use cubesteaks? Perhaps you mentioned this in another thread, but what do you typically serve with these steaks?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by chef_Tab (Thanks for sharing t...)
Good question! I went online and found a cuban restaurant that served this and took a peek at their menu. Here is what I found, but I still want to know what Cubangirl says:

Quote:

Main Dishes / Platos Principales

All main dishes served with white or yellow rice, and black or red beans / Todos los platos servidos con arroz blanco o smarillo y frijoles negros o rojos.
*May substitute tostones, sauteed spinach, string beans, platanos,
side salad, or french fries for both rice and beans*

[Image: DSCN2236.JPG]

Looks like this plate has tostones. Not sure what those are, but they look like a fried smashed plantain. I'll wait for Cubangirl to explain.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by chef_Tab (Thanks for sharing t...)
Theresa, I would not use cube steak. You would not get the same texture, my guess it would be closer to chicken fried steak. This is closer to scallopini cuts. Typically this dish is served with Cuban sides, rice, black beans, tostones or maduros and a very simple salad e.g. avocado and onion slices. I make this for DD since its her favorite and she always requests Yorkshire pudding with it, her second favorite, so I serve it with that and a green salad or I've also done it with Ina's roasted broccoli with pine nuts and Parmesan or with tostones. For unbreaded Cuban steak DS's favorite, I always serve rice, the fried onions from the marinade (with mushrooms added if I have them on hand) and homemade skinny French Fries (from the JOC recipe) and a green salad.
London Broil can mean many things here so I don't know how to translate it. In Cuba we used palomilla for Cuban steaks both breaded and unbreaded. Does that help?
I happen to like the texture that Matzo meal adds, but if you can not find matzos then just skip it. When I have not had Cuban crackers to make into powder, I've used regular stale bread homemade dry breadcrumbs. I like it a lot better with the Cuban crackers, so now I always have them on hand.
I get them here. Hope I didn't miss any questions. Enjoy.
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by Cubangirl (Theresa, I would not...)
I'm glad Theresa asked about the cubed steak, because I was going to say this is like chicken fried steak, which I LOVE. Now I'm curious about the texture difference you mention. Although, as a child, my mom would used to use thin round steak and make it like chicken fried steak. I guess that would be close. I'll be trying your method next time I have the urge, that's for sure. I like the use of a breading instead of just flour. Thanks for the recipe. Copied and saved!

I've just noticed this as I was putting it in MC9. Is this either/or or both?

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup Saffola oil (if making large quantities at a time)
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by Cubangirl (Theresa, I would not...)
Quote:

London Broil can mean many things here so I don't know how to translate it. In Cuba we used palomilla for Cuban steaks both breaded and unbreaded. Does that help?

According to the beef chart I have, palomilla is the word used, in Cuba, for top sirloin. According to the English dictionary, and several beef-related sources, London broil is flank steak (which, according to the chart, would be churrasco de vacio in Cuba.

For Honduras, the chart says that top sirloin (palomilla) would be punta de pierna (which I already know to be accurate, since that's mostly what I had been using until I discovered this butcher where I can even get brisket). On the other hand, flank steak (i.e. London broil or churrasco de vacio) would be falda, but a few OTHER cuts are also called falda, so that's why I asked.

For additional reference, however, THIS site says that falda would be the Cuban term for flank steak, though they still say that palomilla is top sirloin. They also say that churrasco de vacio is from the "innner flank plate" which, from the diagrams I've seen (including the one the the chart, would be the London broil.

If top sirloin will work just as well as London broil, then that's probably what I'll try, but maybe this newly discovered butcher will be able to get me some London broil.

Almost forgot: I still need to check to see if the Cuban crackers are available here. I used to get them all the time, in Florida, but can't recall seeing them here. I hope they ARE available, since I really liked them and, now that you've reminded me about them, I'd start using them for other things, as well.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by Gourmet_Mom (I'm glad Theresa ask...)
Labs, I was thinking I was crazy, and then I found this:
Let's get it straight, London Broil is a Cooking Method -
NOT a cut of beef!!

But, many grocery store meat departments and butcher shops sell a cut of beef labeled London Broil.
What cut of beef is it usually?

It is usually Top Round Roast. Here's the site. Here's another site that might be useful.

So, to explain about the meat cut: I know my mom always got an uncut palomilla and cut the steaks herself, so that is what she used. She used falda (Cuban one) to make soup and the leftover meat was then used for Ropa Vieja, Vaca Frita and Croquetas. I like London Broil because when I can get a nice thick piece, it does not need a lot of trimming and I can get a lot of whole steaks (without holes) out of one piece. However, I have used round, sirloin and flank. Flank tends to be more expensive, hence my use of other cuts for this dish wish I made a lot when I was a single mom. I don't think it matters that much which cut is used as long as the steaks don't have a lot of fat, gristle or marbling. What makes them so good imho is the heel of the hand technique, which almost fuses the breading to the meat. If the crust can be separated from the steak, then it has not been done correctly.
For the oil: Filling my large 5 qt. sauté pan with enough EVOO to fry enough steaks for 6 or 8 people the steaks could get quite pricey as I don't care for the cheap stuff. Hence my combining it with the Saffola, it stretches the EVOO while still flavoring the steaks. Cubans usually sauté with EVOO, it was the only oil I ever saw in my house (there was lard as well of course). As I mentioned the measurements are guesses since I just pour enough EVOO to coat the bottom of the pan and add enough Saffola to bring it up to cover 1/2 of the thin steak, so I took a shot at guessing the amounts. If I am only doing enough for 2-4 people, I'd use all EVOO. Hope that makes sense.
  Re: Re: Breaded Cuban Steak by Cubangirl (Labs, I was thinking...)
Thanks for the clarification on the oil. I thought that's what you meant.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.