Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please...
  Re: (...)
TGIF All!!

Tomorrow night I want to make the Port Sauce Filets from Cuisine For Two and I have everything I need except for the Port Wine. I've never purchased or even drank Port Wine before, so when I located the correct aisle in the liquor store, I didn't know which to buy. There were all kinds of ports there. In the review done by pjcooks, et al, not too long ago, there is no mention of what port was used.

Can someone clue me in on a label or a brand?

BTW, that's one dangerous aisle in that store. It also contains ice wines and those Peller bottles were just staring me down, daring me to buy one. Mmmm Mm!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by BarbaraS (TGIF All!![br][br]To...)
Personally, I like a tawny port more than the ruby ports. Rubies tend to be a bit sweeter. Tawnies have more depth and warmth. But that's just me. I have been happy with the brand Fonseca Bin 57, it is kind of middle of the road price wise. I am sure more expensive ones might be better. Not sure what your price range is.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by chef_Tab (Personally, I like a...)
Theresa,

Thanks for your input, I would've never known about tawny Ports. I'm not looking to spend more than $20 on a bottle since I don't know what I'll be doing with it afterward.

Would Port come in the little airline bottles? I'm only asking because I only need 3/4 cup.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by BarbaraS (TGIF All!![br][br]To...)
Even though we have made this several times I can't remember what type we use. We keep our port in a decanter so I don't have the bottle around. Hope someone can help since this is a great dinner.
  Re: Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by (Even though we have ...)
I keep tawny port in my pantry (with my dry Vermouth, brandy, and Madeira) and use it when red wine is called for in a recipe. I get a very inexpensive brand...under 10 bucks, I think. I don't know if this makes a difference in flavor or not, though. I've never tried a more expensive brand since the cheaper brands are all that's available around here.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by Gourmet_Mom (I keep tawny port in...)
Barbara, I have never seen Port in an airline size bottle. Have you ever had Port? It is so delicious with dark chocolate, truffles, or a nice piece of chocolate cake. It is a dessert wine to be sipped. If you lived close enough, I would just give you the amount you need for the recipe.
Theresa

Re: Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by chef_Tab (Barbara, I have neve...)
Thanks Theresa! I guess that's one bottle that should be a "keeper" in the liquor cabinet. Although, my "liquor cabinet" is in my island in the kitchen - but it does very well there nearest to the glasses and ice and all.

So that being said, I'm supposing it keeps well after being opened, but does it have an "opened shelf life".

So maybe I'll go up in price. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all who have responded!

Barbara
  Re: Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by BarbaraS (Thanks Theresa! I g...)
"So that being said, I'm supposing it keeps well after being opened, but does it have an "opened shelf life". - will keep your lifetime, probably.

I agree with the tawny port. You can also play with a reduction with the port if you want to use it up.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by cjs ("So that being said,...)
Barbara, I would think you could get a very decent port for around $20-$25. It seems to me I paid $21 for mine.
Theresa

Re: Re: Port Sauce Filet Recipe Help Please... by chef_Tab (Barbara, I would thi...)
I love Port but am not too crazy about tawny port. I'll take the Ruby everytime. Now that really helped you, didn't it?
Shannon