Rum Cake
  Re: (...)
Saturday afternoon, my neighbor brought over some cake for us that she had made. Well, it was nice, but nothing to get real excited about. Then, she called Sunday and said she had just tasted the cake again and what a difference a day made. She sent over more of it for us and WOW, was she right. This cake is wonderful, moist and just delicious.

(For those who are real purists and would not consider these ingredients, just travel on to the next post - but, this is really good! )

Rum Cake

Grease & flour a Bundt pan. Line the bottom of the pan with chopped pecans or walnuts (1/3 to 1/2 cup).

Blend together:
1 pkg. yellow-cake mix
1 small pkg. instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white rum
1/2 cup canola oil

Bake at 325°F. for 55 minutes.

Pour sauce over cake immediately after removing from the oven. BE CAREFUL - AS THE SAUCE WILL BOIL OUT OF THE PAN IF YOU POUR TOO FAST. (I usually put the cake pan in the kitchen sink and do the pouring there.) Leave the cake in the pan for 25 minutes. Turn out onto a serving platter.

Sauce:
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup white rum
1/4 cup waer

Pour ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.

Edited to add: Be sure to make the day before you want to serve this cake!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Rum Cake by cjs (Saturday afternoon, ...)
That sounds like really good wet cake - sometimes you can wander from the purist way
  Re: Re: Rum Cake by (That sounds like rea...)
yeah, let's wander, Sonja!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rum Cake by cjs (yeah, let's wander, ...)
With THIS group, is a cake REALLY necessary for the consumption of rum?
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Rum Cake by labradors (With THIS group, is ...)
uhmmmmmmmmmm, maybe not.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Rum Cake by cjs (Saturday afternoon, ...)
This brought back memories! I just pulled out my Mom's recipe for this, and it's almost identical.. She was always asked to bring this cake, to the many organizations she belonged to, and all the parties. I think I went through high school high on the fumes of her rum cake

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Rum Cake by pjcooks (This brought back me...)
Where's Vicci when you need her???
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rum Cake by cjs (Where's Vicci when y...)
"With THIS group, is a cake REALLY necessary for the consumption of rum?" LOL!

"Where's Vicci when you need her???" I know! I figured she'd be all over this!

Thanks for posting, Jean. We're still trying to stay on the lighter side of eating....read: NO DESSERTS and cutting back on the bread But I'm saving for Easter. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Rum Cake by Gourmet_Mom ("With THIS group, is...)
Oh, Easter dessert! wouldn't this be good with rum ice cream?? Surely Vicci has a recipe for this.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Rum Cake by cjs (Oh, Easter dessert! ...)
How'd this thread be around for 12 hours without my knowing???

This sounds incredible! Hey, with all of these comments, one would think that I was some sort of rum-drunkard. I must admit, though, I am partial to the stuff...

I'm wondering about using chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and a nice, dark, caramel-y rum instead of white rum. With vanilla-rum ice cream. I have to look for a recipe.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com