Yo, Vicci!
  Re: (...)
I recognize the review dinners are not your "cup of tea". So I thought I'd throw this in....since I've made Theresa's dinner. I think some chicken legs and thighs would work in place of the beef ribs.

Regarding my menu, I think you could easily sub a turkey tenderloin/breast. I hope you can join us and give an "alternative" review for us.

That being said, I hope you're having a great time with Mom and Dad! We're here for you when you get back!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Yo, Vicci! by Gourmet_Mom (I recognize the revi...)
I am willing to participate in the birthday dinners, but sometimes I haven't a clue as to what poultry to sub for the beef or pork or whatever it is that I don't eat. Now Labs' birthday entree looked so incredible, and with those flavors it really did need to be made with pork. Thanks for the suggestions, though, so I'll be "in"!

Still at my parents. We had 6" of snow here, but 24" at the farm and there has been no power since yesterday (with a low of 8 last night) so I am really worried about burst pipes, etc. But I couldn't go there even if I wanted to since the county is shut down (even the hospital near us, and malls) and only emergency vehicles are allowed out. Dad offered to drive me until we found out about this. *sigh* Jack's mom came thru surgery fine, and he is scheduled to return here on Monday so we shall see then what is in store for us back home.

On the good side of my day, the entire family is due here in about an hour for my Mom's birthday celebration. Two cakes! Wa-hoo!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by foodfiend ([img]/ubbthreads/ima...)
Oh my, the thought of looking forward to possibly having broken pipes...yikes!
But enjoy the moment (as it sounds like you are) and whatever will certainly wait for you.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by cjs (Oh my, the thought o...)
OH I feel your pain, Vicci. Hoping we don't come home to any such "surprises" and hoping you find your house completely intact as well
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by cjs (Oh my, the thought o...)
Quote:

Oh my, the thought of looking forward to possibly having broken pipes...yikes!

Don't forget to leave the water running a little bit so that the pipes can't freeze up as easily.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I agree, have fun. You can't do anything about it and worrying won't solve anything. Hopefully, all is well.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by Gourmet_Mom (I agree, have fun. ...)
Yep, I just looked at both Daphne's and Theresa's menus and I'm in (with the meat substitutions!). Thanks for the suggestions, Daphne.

Learning the ins and outs of my Dad's mac...

Anyway, just found out that the power at the lake house went out on Friday, and has yet to be restored, but it's a gas furnace so heat shouldn't be a problem. Jut the food in the freezer (wasn't much, though). Fingers crossed...

Power is still out at the farm. So how many days, without opening the freezer, until I have to throw out everything in there (it's packed-full)? The heat at the farm is hot water (boiler with radiators) and that may be a problem since the water pump is electric. This has never happened before. Sure, during a storm (mainly in the summer) we may be without power for several hours, but never has there been a situation like this one. I just have no idea what to expect and, being the planner that I am, that causes me great anxiety.

Oh well, I'm just hoping that all is well. DH is leaving his sister's tomorrow, will arrive here in mid-afternoon, then we will head back to the farm on Tuesday. Hours before the next storm (reportedly will be 6-10 inches this time). *sigh*

Life is such an adventure!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by foodfiend (Yep, I just looked a...)
My power was out for 5 days after "Ike"--my stepson hooked up a gasoline generator and saved most of the stuff in our freezer--get a small generator for the future- it's worth the $900!!!!! Be well, Vicci
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by foodfiend (Yep, I just looked a...)
Quote:

Learning the ins and outs of my Dad's mac...

So, Vicci, does that mean he's the Mac Daddy?

Quote:

My power was out for 5 days after "Ike"--my stepson hooked up a gasoline generator and saved most of the stuff in our freezer

Bill, how long was it before the generator was hooked up?

Here's what the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service has to say (bold text is theirs; underlining is mine):
[blockquote]Quote:

Power Outage in Freezer
If there is a power outage, the freezer fails, or if the freezer door has been left ajar by mistake, the food may still be safe to use. As long as a freezer with its door ajar is continuing to cool, the foods should stay safe overnight. If a repairman is on the way or it appears the power will be on soon, just don't open the freezer door.

A freezer full of food will usually keep about 2 days if the door is kept shut; a half-full freezer will last about a day. The freezing compartment in a refrigerator may not keep foods frozen as long. If the freezer is not full, quickly group packages together so they will retain the cold more effectively. Separate meat and poultry items from other foods so if they begin to thaw, their juices won't drip onto other foods.

When the power is off, you may want to put dry ice, block ice, or bags of ice in the freezer or transfer foods to a friend's freezer until power is restored. Use an appliance thermometer to monitor the temperature.

When it is freezing outside and there is snow on the ground, it seems like a good place to keep food until the power comes on; however, frozen food can thaw if it is exposed to the sun's rays even when the temperature is very cold. Refrigerated food may become too warm and foodborne bacteria could grow. The outside temperature could vary hour by hour and the temperature outside will not protect refrigerated and frozen food. Additionally, perishable items could be exposed to unsanitary conditions or to animals. Animals may harbor bacteria or disease; never consume food that has come in contact with an animal.

To determine the safety of foods when the power goes on, check their condition and temperature. If food is partly frozen, still has ice crystals, or is as cold as if it were in a refrigerator (40 °F), it is safe to refreeze or use. It's not necessary to cook raw foods before refreezing. Discard foods that have been warmer than 40 °F for more than 2 hours. Discard any foods that have been contaminated by raw meat juices. Dispose of soft or melted ice cream for quality's sake.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Yo, Vicci! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Well, if you didn't have power and the house itself was actually cooling, then I would imagine that that 2 days of freezer life would be extended considerably before the meat would need to be tossed. Not that that would be much of a consolation to you given the rest of the damage that you could be facing.

We also have hot water heat and faced so many outages when we moved here that we replaced all the liquid in the baseboards with antifreeze to eliminate the freezing pipe issue.

Lab's suggestion of dripping water works if you are on a city supplied water system, but those of us on individual wells rely on the electric to power our water pumps and when electric goes you pretty well sit there with nothing - candles, blankets and a fireplace if you are lucky. You get really creative!

My fingers are crossed for you . . . hopefully things will be fine.