OT- send me some warm thoughts, please!
  Re: (...)
We returned to the farm this afternoon and, after almost an hour of shoveling to get within walking distance of the garage (over 2' of snow on the ground), we entered the house to discover that the power still is not on (now we're in day #5). The downstairs temp was 45, the upstairs 38. Cripes.

So I need you all to send some nice warm thoughts to my chilly house so the pipes do not freeze! The electricity is supposed to be restored by midnight on Thursday, and I can't believe that all of the faucets are still working (we can't let them drip because we have spring water and the water pump is electric).

I cleaned out the 2 refrigerator/ freezers this afternoon, but think that the big freezer may make it until tomorrow afternoon. At that point, I may have to box everything that is still salvageable and put it on the porch (the daily highs are to be in the mid 20's, so it should work...)

We are at my MIL's apartment (lots of heat! lots of electricity! it's like Christmas!!!) but plan to go to the farm a few times tomorrow to turn on the gas fireplaces (alas, only in 2 of the main-floor rooms).

Of course, we've received another 3" of snow tonight, with an additional 5-10" forecast for tomorrow.

Hey Labs, can I come and visit NOW?!?!?!?

Oh, and the lake house? We can't even get there for a few more days, but a neighbor with binoculars has told us to bring a chain saw and plan to spend the day. She also saw that the weight of the snow has collapsed the boat cover and it's now a "snow-filled boat". I want summer!!!!

Warm thoughts , please!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by foodfiend (We returned to the f...)
Vicci, can you fill your tub(s) with water? If so do it now. If the house temp is above freezing it should be ok. Fill every container you have with water too. Charcoal grills or butane stoves would be good now. Cut wood is good outside too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by foodfiend (We returned to the f...)
Quote:

Hey Labs, can I come and visit NOW?!?!?!?

Any time.

[Image: 3490034300fc6e0f1bb0.jpg]

Translation of card: "Honduras: Way cool!"

(More literally, "Honduras: All great!" but the former captures the spirit of the expression better.)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Oh my gosh Vicci I can't imagine my house being that cold. I would send warm s. cal weather but it's now 42 degrees here and pouring rain.

So I'll keep the cold and wet for ya and you can have my sunshine.
  Re: Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by DFen911 (Oh my gosh Vicci I c...)
I was thinking of you Vicci!! They moved hubby there yesterday. When I talked with him in the afternoon he said it was like a war zone. The roads aren't plowed, everything is rutted and iced, the snow hasn't fallen from the trees or power lines and it was snowing like there was no tomorrow. Last night when I talked to him they were headed to Morgantown because that was the closest place to stay that had power (40 miles away). And now it was raining!!! He said that the snow that was on the trees, etc. was just acting like a sponge soaking up the rain and making it even heavier, not to mention that the lower temps would turn the rain to ice. EGADS!

I'm hoping that somewhere along the line he gets the power back on for you!!! I'm thinking warm thoughts!
  Re: Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by iBcookin (I was thinking of yo...)
Poor Vicci! What a nightmare to have to return to. And the snow isn't letting up anytime soon. I think Sharon can relate, remember when she first got to North Dakota? How is the kitty?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by chef_Tab (Poor Vicci! What a n...)
Vicci's kitty or mine?? Mine takes a leak on a brand new dog bed again (did 2 in a week) he will land in a 9' snowdrift! Only kidding.

Oh Vicci - I can relate and I feel your pain. The snow bank trick does work. If you have coolers pack the food in the cookers with snow underneath and snow on top. Then put the cooler in the snow. As long as your temps stay cold it should be fine. If we can keep bags of ice in a cooler in the snow (and the cubes stay loose and perfect!) frozen food should be a snap. If the sun starts shining on it pile some more snow on top of the cooler. We kept a cooler full of venison frozen solid for a week until I could make room in the big freezer.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by Harborwitch (Vicci's kitty or min...)
This is just unbelievable. And I'm b*tching about no sun????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by cjs (This is just unbelie...)
We have beautiful sunshine this morning. Here it is coming in through my new kitchen curtains: [Image: DSCN4119.jpg]
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: OT- send me some warm thoughts, please! by Harborwitch (We have beautiful su...)
I did mean Vicci's kitty, I had forgotten you had one too, Sharon. I always picture the pugs, especially Miss Fancy Pants. Hahahaha. I used to think cats would only go out of their litter box if they were sick, but then I had one that seemed to be senile. This is off topic, but I cannot say enough about "Worlds Best Cat Litter". I used to hate the perfumy smell and dust from the old litter I used. I worried about the kitties lungs. Worlds Best is just ground corn cobs(sorry Jean, I know they should be used for stock ). I love it. Hubby complains that it is actually "Worlds Most Expensive" but the cats and I are worth it.

Oh, Sharon, what adorable "light filtering" curtains those are!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!