bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea
  Re: (...)
Okay, I posted the foodgawker website. If you visit and search "breakfast" egg (or more) there are plenty of "bacon & egg Toast Cups". I am hosting a Sunday Jazz Brunch in March and these really look interesting to me. Have any made this type of dish before? I'm looking for something easy, quick and elegant and this idea really intrigues me. Looking for feedback. I have some other ideas which I will share later for suggestions. Thanks all.
Madeline
  Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by pink_eagle (Okay, I posted the f...)
I've never made a breakfast cup using toast, but it works great with crepes. We fold them into muffin tins, fill them with any good quiche-friendly ingredients and then top them with an egg-milk mixture. They're delicious, and look far more impressive than the effort I put in!

Two other dishes that are always a hit are CAH's breakfast strudel, which can be assembled the night before and then popped in the oven in the morning, and Cook's Illustrated blueberry scones. That recipe works really well in a variety of variations, including strawberry/orange, and bacon/green onion/fontina.

Let me know if you'd like either recipe. I can't post the CI recipe, but I will e-mail it to you.

Your Jazz Brunch sounds fun!
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by karyn (I've never made a br...)
Wow, the breakfast cups, breakfast strudel, and blueberry scones sound great. All will be perfect for my overnight guests this summer. I usually don't start planning this early, but...

Ahhh, Sunday Jazz Brunch. Wish I lived closer to Tampa (for many reasons!).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by foodfiend (Wow, the breakfast c...)
For the jazz fans reading this, try Radio Swiss Jazz. Often, I'll just keep that running.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by labradors (For the jazz fans re...)
Very nice! Thanks Rob!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by Gourmet_Mom (Very nice! Thanks R...)
You're welcome. They have a great selection - very rarely anything I haven't liked.
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by labradors (You're welcome. The...)
Have you thought of rolling (with a rolling pin) out a slice of bread (crusts removed) and fitting it in a muffin tin? I used to do this for catering a lot. Makes a nice crust for jus about anything (savory or sweet).

I have a lot of fillings for something like this.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by cjs (Have you thought of ...)
Rob, thanks so much for the site! I figured that I couldn't play it because on my dial-up connection (constantly buffering) but I noticed that they can broadcast over dial-up and I'm downloading the app for it now.

I'm trying to adjust to my dinosaur ways since returning home-- Dad has a super fast internet connection, and my Mom has a couple of different satellite music systems. It's pretty bad when my parents have the better technology!

Jean, after rolling out the bread slice and fitting it into the muffin cups, do you bake first then add the ingredients (such as beaten egg) and bake further? Or just add the filling to the bread-cup and bake then? Sounds very interesting.

Rob, returning to add that this is the first "app" I have ever loaded and after a few tries, I got it to work and Radio Swiss Jazz is great. I sent the link to my uncle, who has been a drummer in one jazz band or another for around 50 years. He's our "cool uncle".
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by foodfiend (Rob, thanks so much ...)
Well, sorry I didn't mention it earlier then. Didn't realise how many jazz fans we have on the site.

On a side note (especially considering a discussion about translation in another thread), it's interesting to hear the occasional "station identification" announcement which (because it's from Switzerland, after all) may be in German, Italian or French.

BTW, it's also nice that those announcements, and maybe a few program notes, are the ONLY ones on there: no advertising!
  Re: Re: bacon & egg toast cups--brunch idea by labradors (Well, sorry I didn't...)
Vicci - prebake until just golden, then you can bake again after the filling, or bake until a darker golden if not baking a 2nd time.

Remove crusts from bread; roll & flatten each bread slice w/a rolling pin.
Cut 3 circles out of each slice with a 1 3/4" fluted or round cookie cutter.

Brush mini muffin pans w/melted butter.
Press circles on bottom and up sides of muffin cups; brush bread cups with melted butter.

Bake at 350 for 7 min., or till lightly toasted.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com