Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage
  Re: (...)
I found a recipe for Seville Style Stuffed Cabbage on Foodgawker, Bob and I are really hankering for these - they look sooooooo good.

But,the North Dakota "exotic food" demon has struck again!
. The recipe calls for "2 1/2 oz cured serrano ham (prosciutto or pancetta will work fine)" - it also uses bacon. There is no serrano ham, prosciutto, or pancetta available here. (I WILL make pancetta - eventually) Anyone have an idea for substitution - just more bacon??? It's diced in a ground beef stuffing mixture.

Thanks ahead of time!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by Harborwitch (I found a recipe for...)
Since it's diced and in the filling I would just go ahead and use a little more bacon. I bet you won't know the difference.

Have you heard of freezer blanching cabbage? I just saw this the other day and now I am trying to find it online. It was so easy AND didn't stink up the house with boiling cabbage. They froze the cabbage (don't remember how long) then took it out of the freezer and peeled off a few plyable leaves, stuffed them, rolled them up and cooked them. I will keep looking online.

I knew I wasn't crazy, someone else saw it too on a Julia & Jacques show! Chowhound

Someone else talks about it too: Another chowhound thread
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by luvnit (Since it's diced and...)
I've been doing this for a long time. Once when I was on the Island I found a cabbage in the freezer and couldn't remember why . . .
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by Harborwitch (I've been doing this...)
You are just too smart Sharon!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by Harborwitch (I've been doing this...)
My word, that recipe looks delicious, Sharon!!! Running this by my tongue..... how about a little ground pork, sausage, even ground chicken, mushrooms, or maybe even a little fish - salmon, shrimp???? Or, make it simple, add a little more bacon and/or grd. beef.

Had to copy that recipe...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by cjs (My word, that recipe...)
Doesn't it just look yummy. I think I'll go with the extra bacon. If I had pork jowls done I'd use some of that - but they're in the freezer until we figure out a 55F 75% humidity place to hang meat to cure.
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by Harborwitch (Doesn't it just look...)
Sharon, I've subbed country ham (salt cured- You do have that, don't you? Or is that just a Southern thing?) for the serrano and proscuitto...just rinse it beforehand so it won't be so salty.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by cjs (My word, that recipe...)
Jean I wanted to let you know that this really was not all that great. Possible reasons:

1: It was just a lousy recipe
2: The bacon was not a good sub.
3: Breadcrumbs not fine enough (my ancient Cuisinart is dying)
4: The bacon was not all that good (used some in 3 different recipes and they were all "icky").

Don't know if I'll try it again. I've got a pile of them in the freezer - until I come up with an idea or a sauce. They were dry, tasteless, and just plain a waste of time and effort.
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by Harborwitch (Jean I wanted to let...)
good to know, Sharon - hate it when that happens, don't we?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Substitution dilema - ingredient shortage by cjs (good to know, Sharon...)
That's the second or third recipe from FoodGawker that has been really cr@p. I'm going to be much more selective.