Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish)
  Re: (...)
This is now being fished in a sustanable way, so eat up. I love it--it is expensive, but a little goes a long way because of it's mild but rich flavor.We had some Monday nite.

Skin the fish. Rub on a little olive oil snd salt and pepper both sides to taste. Grill, or sear in a med hot skillet, on both sides for about 5 min each. Put in a hot skillet and place in a 350 oven for 10-12 min. It's really hard to overcook!! It is full of oil. You can serve as is or with just about any fish sauce--I like to let it stand alone. Great for Lent.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by Old Bay (This is now being fi...)
Chilean Sea Bass has been a favorite of ours forever. Very mild and fresh fish.
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by Trixxee (Chilean Sea Bass has...)
I love it too, though I am not sure I have seen it here. I try to order it whenever I visit Florida. Thanks for reminding me, Bill, I will have to check the store next shopping trip.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by chef_Tab (I love it too, thoug...)
I wish everyone would just use its real name. Pathagonion Toothfish for dinner? Cool!

Theresa, Giant Eagle has it only occasionally (perhaps at certain times of the year?), so I'm sure that Wegmans will carry it also.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by foodfiend (I wish everyone woul...)
And here, another example of my isolation in the culinarily deprived world. I've NEVER seen it. I'll keep an eye out, though. We love fish!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by Gourmet_Mom (And here, another ex...)
I buy it at our local Farmer's Market or Whole Foods. I'm a fish snob - I cannot buy fish at a regular grocery store. I don't even know why but I can't go there. LOL.
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by Trixxee (I buy it at our loca...)
I so miss Whole Foods. Colorado Springs had a beautiful store but Tucson's Whole Foods is mostly vitamins and organic canned goods. So disappointing. Wish I had their fish market here to agonize over whether I should splurge or not.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by Dismc (I so miss Whole Food...)
You know, Shannon, that is my experience with Whole Foods. There is one in Durham that we visited for some lotions, nuts, and grains when William had his appointments. They had a great variety of organic products and good deals on bulk items, but for seafood and meats, they were limited and VERY, VERY high in comparison to regular grocers/butchers...often 3 or 4 times regular retail in a typical grocer....all in the name of "organic". It was staggering! It always felt more like I was visiting a health food store that had a small time butcher shop in the back as an after-thought or dirty secret.

Fresh Market is bad enough, but at least they have variety.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by Gourmet_Mom (You know, Shannon, t...)
That's a bummer, Dismc. As you can gather from this picture of their storefront, ours is a full size grocery store. It certainly is not cheap but I don't want cheap fish....

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/tustin/
  Re: Re: Chilean Sea Bass (Pathagonion Toothfish) by Gourmet_Mom (You know, Shannon, t...)
Quote:

You know, Shannon, that is my experience with Whole Foods. There is one in Durham that we visited for some lotions, nuts, and grains when William had his appointments. They had a great variety of organic products and good deals on bulk items, but for seafood and meats, they were limited and VERY, VERY high in comparison to regular grocers/butchers...often 3 or 4 times regular retail in a typical grocer....all in the name of "organic". It was staggering! It always felt more like I visiting a health food store that had a small time butcher shop in the back as an after-thought or dirty secret.

Fresh Market is bad enough, but at least they had variety.

The CEO is really a good leader and treats his employees well, but he has no idea of how to feed the world. He is a vegan, thus the small butcher shop.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".