A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question
  Re: (...)
Okay, theoretically, if someone prepares a birthday review recipe and it is very apparent that some of the other members may possibly find the prepared dish too something, and most likely will not enjoy it (and will quite probably have to prepare scrambled eggs or perhaps Hot Pockets for the family dinner)--- how should that be handled?

I'm not saying another thing...
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by foodfiend (Okay, [b]theoretical...)
Quote:

Okay, theoretically, if someone prepares a birthday review recipe and it is very apparent that some of the other members may possibly find the prepared dish too something, and most likely will not enjoy it (and will quite probably have to prepare scrambled eggs or perhaps Hot Pockets for the family dinner)--- how should that be handled?

I'm not saying another thing...

Change all or part of the dinner and just say I'm doing these things as an alternative. Example: If someone suggests liver & onions, sweet potatoes, and turnips, with dirty rice--I will just pass! And say "Happy Birthday".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I think what Vicci meant was that she already prepared a dinner and thinks certain others may benefit from some sort of warning......like, "this is rather spicy you may want to adjust the amount of peppers" but does not want to reveal too much before the review date. Is that what you mean, Vicci?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by Old Bay ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Okay, since I think this thing is getting sidetracked, I'll jump in. If referring to a specific Review Dinner that is due on March 8, I would say, "I have made [it] and found [it] too _________. So much so that I would suggest...."

Just my humble opinion. But Jean is more experienced at reviews than I am. I'd wait for her opinion.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by chef_Tab (I think what Vicci m...)
Yes, Theresa has it right. I know that we don't want to post the entire review before the review date but perhaps, on the rare occasion, a short warning for one part of the recipe may be in order.

So, Bill, I shouldn't specify those terribly yummy liver and onions as my birthday dinner, as you will not participate?!?!?!

I will, as Daphne mentioned, wait for Jean to weigh in on the subject.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by foodfiend (Yes, Theresa has it ...)
My dear friend, I would graciously substitute something else, and wish you "Happy Birthday".

I, too agree, listen to Jean.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by Old Bay (My dear friend, I wo...)
Vicci, dear, if you EVER choose beef liver for a review dinner, I can GUARANTEE I will NOT particpate! EWWWWWWW!

Wait...we're talking Vicci...beef liver...LOL! That'll never happen...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by Gourmet_Mom (Vicci, dear, if you ...)
Well, this is a community decision on whether we post something or not, but in the past some who have found a dish too hot (or too something) before the review date do mention it.

As in Theresa's Lacquered Short Ribs - 1/4 cup Shriracha may be too much for some, especially if you've never worked with that sauce before.

I think you're safe in the liver dept. too, Daphne.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by cjs (Well, this is a comm...)
Ewwww, liver of any sort!

Thanks for chiming in, Jean. I'll post a short warning on another thread.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: A Birthday Dinner Review Etiquette Question by foodfiend (Ewwww, liver of [u]a...)
Yeah! Great idea to post a 'SPOILER' of a sort on another thread. I love the dinner reviews but often think about others and how I might have benefited from their advice.

I like the separate thread thing. Nice!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura