old issue Chicken Frizzle
  Re: (...)
If anyone has the old issue that contains the chicken frizzle recipe (with club soda and lemon) I would sure appreciate it... my dear hubby thought he should clean out MY magazines....

I made the recipe a few times in 06 or 07... have been searching for it ever since. Thanks a bunch (from both of us!) susan
Susan
  Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by swheat115 (If anyone has the ol...)
I would assume this is the one? It is all that came up when I typed in club soda.

Fizzy chicken with lemon vinaigrette

Cuisine at home No. 63 (June 2007), pages 28-29

This chicken simmers in club soda with pop and fizz that's as fun to watch in the pan as it is to eat off the plate.

I have some of the back issues, but I don't have this one. This was the issue just before I joined, I think. But don't despair, SWheat, someone will probably come along soon to help you out. This is a very friendly, helpful group. Now that you've found us, I hope you will join us in some good conversation about the foods and recipes we love, especially recipes from C@H. Welcome!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by Gourmet_Mom (I would assume this ...)
I loved issue #63, but, alas it is at home and we're on the road, 'sw' - and welcome to the forum. I'll bet someone will be by shortly to help out.

and I just checked - I don't have it in MasterCook, sorry.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by swheat115 (If anyone has the ol...)
Here ya go...

Fizzy Chicken w/ Lemon Vin

¼ c fresh lemon juice
1 T honey
1 T chopped fresh chives
2 t Dijon mustard
1/4 cup vegetable oil (edited by moderator)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4-6 [Email]oz@)[/Email]
Salt and pepper
¾ c converted rice
1/4 c AP flour
2 T veg oil
½ c club soda
1 T unsalted butter
½ t red pepper flakes
¼ c Parmesan, grated
¼ c heavy cream
1 T unsalted butter

Combine lemon juice, honey, chives and mustard in a bowl. Drizzle in ¼ c oil, whisking constantly until emulsified.

Trim chicken breasts of fat, then season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.

Dredge chicken in flour, then saute in 2 T oil in a large saute pan over med high heat for 2 min or until golden. Flip and saute for 1 min more.

Deglaze w/ club soda, reduce heat to med and add 1 T butter and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer until liquid is syrupy, about 5 min, turning chix to coat. Keep chix warm over low heat.

Combine cooked rice with the Parm, cream and butter. Serve chicken with lemon vinaigrette, Parm rice and Veg Melange.

Hope this helps!

PJ

ETA, the Melange is simply 1 1/2 c each of shaved carrot and zucchini, cooked in 2 T uns. butter until tender. Add 1 T fresh parsley and salt to taste.
PJ
  Re: Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by pjcooks (Here ya go...[br][br...)
My goodness, this sounds really good! Thanks PJ! I'll be adding this to next weeks menu. I seem to be stuck on crusted chicken with lemon of some kind....LOL! This will be a new twist!

And thanks for asking SWheat!
Daphne
  Re: Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by Gourmet_Mom (My goodness, this so...)
Now that sounds like we'd enjoy it. Thanks PJ, for posting.

I do, however, think I will cook the rice with chicken broth, then add in the Parm (omitting butter and cream) and some minced parsley. The "lowfat option"
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by foodfiend (Now that sounds like...)
Hi folks, I made this recipe when the issue came out and loved it. Gave it 5 stars. However there is an error in the recipe above. There should be an additional 1/4 cup vegetable oil (right after the mustard in the original). It is needed for the vinaigrette.
I had Costco chicken breasts which are always huge, so I only used two and cut them in half lengthwise. I also used EVOO instead of vegetable oil.
I don't usually have converted rice, so I made 3 cups of long grain rice and used 3 cooked cups to make the Parmesan rice (froze the rest for future use). It was very good with the chicken. I think the vegetable melange was in the first Weeknight Menus too and I had made it then. Anyway, I didn't think it was worth the time so I didn't make it with this. I made a green salad instead.
BTW. the pork chops Diane in that issue are also great.
  Re: Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by Cubangirl (Hi folks, I made thi...)
Thanks for the heads up, Cubangirl! I have it on the menu for Friday, so I'm glad you mentioned the added oil. Oh, I see now...it's in the directions, not in the ingredients.
Daphne
  Re: Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by Cubangirl (Hi folks, I made thi...)
Sorry about that, Cubangirl, and thanks for picking up on that. My proof reading skills are slowly going downhill...

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: old issue Chicken Frizzle by pjcooks (Sorry about that, Cu...)
No apologies needed. You saved me a lot of time not having the type the recipe. I copied it over to Living Cookbook so now I can remember to make it again. I would have forgotten until I did my next round of looking over all the past issues, which given the number of new cookbooks I have not even perused yet, may be a long time. I exported the LC recipe to the iphone as well, so now I have it when shopping as well. I copied the Parmesan Rice as well as a separate recipe since I usually have cooked long grain rice in the freezer, and fresh parm. it is a really easy way to dress-up a side, so thanks again.