How to serve a souffle
  Re: (...)
Lol ok..so it's in the oven..it comes out in 15 minutes...how do you serve this thing? Do you scoop it out?

Hahaha I cannot believe I have never made one or really eaten one.

Oh went for the one Billy did since that is what I promised him I would do Bacon and Scallions. It smells so good!
  Re: How to serve a souffle by DFen911 (Lol ok..so it's in t...)
Ok it's not rising as much as I thought it should...rut oh I'll post pics anyway and we're eating it regardless!
  Re: How to serve a souffle by DFen911 (Lol ok..so it's in t...)
Quote:

how do you serve this thing?

Tennis racquet?

The times that I have had soufflés, they were Grand Marnier Soufflés served as dessert. In each of those cases, the waiter broke the soufflé open at the top, in the middle and put some Grand-Marnier-laced whipped cream into it, then we scooped it out and helped ourselves.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: How to serve a souffle by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Denise, we just scooped it out. I think that's the only possible way.

Now I'm liking the one Rob mentioned...LOL! I have not had Grand Marnier in a VERY long time. I LOVE THAT STUFF! HMMMM? I wonder how grand Marnier and cherries would taste...with coffee? NAY!

But there's always the second birthday review dinner on Thursday...no dessert...no school the next day.....
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: How to serve a souffle by Gourmet_Mom (Denise, we just scoo...)
Ok here we go

First off I used Billy's recipe that was also his first souffle -

1/2 cup finely chopped scallion
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 slices lean bacon -- cooked, drained, reserving 2 tablespoons of the fat, and crumbled
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups milk
cayenne to taste
1 1/2 cups coarsely grated Cheddar (about 6 ounces)
4 large eggs -- separated

In a small heavy saucepan cook the scallion in the butter and the reserved bacon fat over moderately low heat, stirring, until the scallion is softened, stir in the flour, and cook the roux stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and boil the mixture, whisking, for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cayenne, the Cheddar, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until the cheese is melted. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition, and whisk in the bacon. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about one fourth of them into the cheese mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a buttered 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish and bake the soufflé in the middle of a preheated 375°F. oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden. Serve the soufflé immediately.

Ingredients are ready-

[Image: Ingredients.jpg]

Folding in the egg whites -

[Image: FoldinginEggWhites.jpg]

Into the oven it goes -

[Image: IntotheOven.jpg]

I cooked it for 40 minutes, but I think it should have gone 50, with the last 10 minutes being at 350. But it was SOOO YUMMY!!! My stars we ate the whole thing!

[Image: Letseat.jpg]
  Re: Re: How to serve a souffle by DFen911 (Ok here we go [img]/...)
How perfect, Denise! I saw where you were referencing the thread where Billy posted his first success earlier today and suspected you were going to fulfill your pledge or challenge.

It looks like you did a great job! Billy would be so proud and applauding you, for sure. He'd probably be going out tomorrow (if he hadn't already) to get the ingredients to make another one the next day (or right along side you)!

Anyway, weren't you surprised at how easy it was? I was! It was kinda' like taking on creme brulee...so much easier than expected and a VERY sexy dish to show for your "hard" work.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: How to serve a souffle by Gourmet_Mom (How perfect, Denise!...)
WOW! Well done! I want some!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: How to serve a souffle by esgunn (WOW! Well done! I ...)
Wow is right! These pictures look even better than the ones on fb. Now I am really motivated to try one!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: How to serve a souffle by chef_Tab (Wow is right! These ...)
It looks fabulous! I scoop it out and serve with a side salad. Time to make one again!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: How to serve a souffle by Lorraine (It looks fabulous! ...)
Billy IS up there applauding you, Denise! Looks absolutely delicious - your souffle dish looks deeper than mine, maybe that's why it didn't raise as much as you thought it should?

Who cares, it looks wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com