Chef's Butter ?
  Re: (...)
What is the signiture compound butter in a restaurant called??
We make one with herbs de Provence. Really quite good. We serve it at parties and dinners. Quite distinctive.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Chef's Butter ? by Old Bay (What is the signitur...)
Took a wild guess, based upon the way you phrased the question: Beurre Maître d'Hôtel.

Unfortunately, although my guess IS the name of something that really exists (do I get any points for that?), it was NOT what you described. Instead, it's a specific compound butter containing parsley and lemon juice.

When I tried searching for "signature compound butter," all I found were restaurant menus that had the phrase, "... our signature compound butter ..." with no actual name. The results for "house compound butter" were similar, except a few of those references just used the name of the restaurant (i.e. _______ house compound butter" or "Beurre _______".
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Chef's Butter ? by Old Bay (What is the signitur...)
Well, I actually know this one. I've seen it called maître d' butter or maître d'hôtel butter.* It calls for different things...according to MC and research I've done, but one commonality is an acid (vinegar or lemon juice) and salt and pepper.

I prefer one with fresh parsley added, at least, but I'm willing to play with others...rosemary, blue cheese, lime or lemon, etc. (Not all combined of course...LOL!) I like your combination. My favorite way to roast chicken is with a compound butter made of herbs de Provence, garlic, lemon, salt, and pepper. So using the same flavors in a compound butter for beef would make sense. BTW, Montreal seasoning seems to be a big favorite seasoning blend, but I have not tried it (read: found it ).

*And then Rob blows that out of the water....LOL! Rob, are you sure? I thought maître d'hôtel butter was unique to the restaurant but went by a universal name.....NO?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Chef's Butter ? by labradors (Took a wild guess, b...)
You get points my friend--thats exactly what I was thinking of!! I saw that somewhere, and the butter was good. We don't want to limit our compound butters--we make several--tarragon butter, sun dried tomato butter, depending on what we want to serve. We make several and freeze into logs--sometimes you can use a butter and not make a sauce. Thanks for finding the elusive answer to my foggy question!! Be safe!

P.S. Thanks to you too Daphne! You were there also!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Chef's Butter ? by Old Bay (You get points my fr...)
compound butters are great for mounting sauces, as you mentioned Bill. (for flavor, texture & glossiness)

Over the years 'maître d'hôtel butter' has become the soup dejur of compound butters.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Chef's Butter ? by Gourmet_Mom (Well, I actually kno...)
Quote:

Rob, are you sure? I thought maître d'hôtel butter was unique to the restaurant but went by a universal name.....NO?

Well, I had never even heard the name, at all, and had just made it up as a wild guess to start my search. What I found, in the search, was that it IS the name for a very specific compound butter which contains parsley and lemon juice and, in some cases, salt and either white or black pepper. This wasn't just something figured out by looking at all the recipes that mentioned it, but also by stated definitions in WiseGeek, CDKitchen and Merriam-Webster.

Other things may be ADDED to it (in which case, certain combinations may give it another name, such as its being called "escargot butter" if garlic is added), but the defining points that make it maître d'hôtel butter are the parsley and lemon juice.

BTW, I did search for compound butters with Herbs de Provence, to see if there was a name for that, but the few places where that combination was used (e.g. menus such as THIS) just called it "Herbs de Provence Compound Butter."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?