Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte
  Re: (...)
This looks heavenly! My sis from Scotland is landing on Tuesday and I'd love to make this for her as her BD was last weekend.

I've never used chips for any chocolate recipe. I always thought chips contained an extra ingredient or two to keep the chip shape. So my question is, would substituing bar chocolate be okay for the torte and the ganache or is there a reason the chips are being used in the first place?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by BarbaraS (This looks heavenly!...)
I don't see any reason you couldn't use the bitter-sweet chocolate squares. But not the unsweetened squares. If I were you I would probably chop it up to melt faster.

The top of the recipes says to use at least
60% cacao. and a good quality chocolate, not Neslte or Hershey. I use the ghirardelli chocolate. I love it in recipes like this.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by luvnit (I don't see any reas...)
I'll just underscore what you already know - don't use chips!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by cjs (I'll just underscore...)
This recipe actuall calls for chips. Not the cheap chips, but the good top-quality 60% or greater dark cacao chips.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by luvnit (This recipe actuall ...)
I use those bittersweet 60% chips quite often with very good results. Those are special I think. And I love to bake..my favorite cooking.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by cjs (I'll just underscore...)
Quote:

I'll just underscore what you already know - don't use chips!!!!

Yeah Jean, one time I tried to use white chocolate chips to melt for something a very long time ago, and the whole thing siezed up. I had know idea what to do, I just tossed the whole thing. This was before I subscribed to any food mags and my one brother tossed a Chocolatier mag in my direction and it said something about not using commercial chocolate chips, regardless of color.

I just go with bars, butter, and cream.

But this torte really looks good! I can see making a strawberry sauce to go with the whole berries.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Quote:

... and the whole thing siezed up. I had know idea what to do, I just tossed the whole thing...

When melting any colour chocolate, unless you are using a recipe designed to add water, moisture will cause the the chocolate to seize up. Often, it's the steam escaping from the pot that's under the double boiler that causes the problem.

Fixing it is very easy. Just stir in some vegetable oil, very slowly, and just a little at a time, until the chocolate has returned to the consistency you want.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Good thing to know, Rob! Thanks for the tip! Makes sense.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by Gourmet_Mom (Good thing to know, ...)
I use good quality chips in place of bars often. For white, I've used Ghirardelli and TJ's with success. For regular I've used Ghirardelli 60%, premium baking and E.Guittard. I always melt my chocolate (butter too) in the microwave instead of the stove top. I've never had it seize. Ditto for boiling water to melt cocoa. I have not received it yet but am looking forward to seeing that issue when I return from FL.
  Re: Re: Issue 80 - Double Chocolate Torte by Cubangirl (I use good quality c...)
Although my favourite EATING chocolate is Lindt, I like the Callebaut discs for cooking. Discovered them when I worked in the restaurant, since that's what they used. Aside from being excellent chocolate (on a par with Lindt), those discs are made that way to allow for smooth, even melting. I don't know if they're available for home use, or not, but if you can find them, give them a try.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?