Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque
  Re: (...)
recipe?

I kind of made one up one time combining a store bought roasted red pepper bisque with sauce left over from the greek meatballs (basically diced tomatoes red pepper flakes and kalamata olives). I added a generous splash of sherry heated it up, threw it in a thermos and we had it on a brisk autumn sail.

I was kind of hankering for it today as we are inundated with snow, but I was unable to come up with anything so I'm planning on making it for next weekend. I'm thinking about starting with a quart of chicken broth, a can of fire/roasted tomatoes, 2 or 3 roasted red peppers, sherry, and some chevre. Anybody care to add anything?

Sally
  Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by lxxf (recipe?[br][br]I kin...)
It's interesting you brought this up, Sally. I have been wanting to try this recipe since Christmas. Maybe this will give you some ideas for adding flavor.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Romesco Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 T Olive oil
2 medium onions -- halved and thinly sliced
About 1/2 t salt
6 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 t hot Spanish or Hungarian paprika -- or regular sweet
1/2 cup red lentils -- hulled, sorted of debris and rinsed
3 jars roasted red peppers -- (12 oz each)drained and rinsed of any charred bits
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz.)
About 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
About 1 T good-quality red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sliced almonds -- toasted
Roasted almond oil or extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling (optional)

Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and 1/2 t salt and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft, 5 to 10 minutes; reduce heat, if necessary, to keep onions from browning.

Add garlic and cook, uncovered, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in paprika and cook 1 minute. Add lentils, peppers, tomatoes, and 1 1/3 cups broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a steady simmer, cover, and cook until lentils are extremely soft (taste to check), about 30 minutes.

In a blender, puree soup in three batches until very smooth, at least 3 minutes per batch. Add dry milk and vinegar to the last batch. Combine batches and season with salt and vinegar to taste; add a bit more broth if soup seems too thick.

Serve the soup topped with almonds and a drizzle of oil if you like.

(I'm thinking some goat cheese crumbled on top would be good, also!)

Source:
"Sunset Holiday Cookbook 2009"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by Gourmet_Mom (It's interesting you...)
I make this quite often but don't really have recipe.

I used 2 large red bell peppers that I roast over an open burner. You could do them in oven with the tomatoes.

So let's see -

2 large red bell peppers
2.5 lbs of tomatoes, quartered. I use a variety of romas and reds.
1 large onion cut into large hunks
about 4 gloves of garlic
S & P
Thyme

Drizzle with olive oil and roast them all at about 450 till charred a bit. The reason I do the peppers over an open flame is they take a bit longer and I can peel them easier. Once charred put into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap for about 15 min. The steam helps lift the skin off. Remove seeds and pulps and cut into 1" chunks.

Put everything into a large stock pot and over with veggie stock (or chicken stock). Add about 1 tsp of fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 min. Then in small batches put everything into a food processor and puree in small batches. Return to pot and reheat as needed. Garnish with parmesan and basil.

[Image: P1010050.jpg]
  Re: Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by DFen911 (I make this quite of...)
Here's the recipe I created for one of the Mystery-Box Challenges two years ago - just peppers, though, not tomatoes.

Roasted-Red-Pepper Bisque
Ingredients:
  • 6 Red bell peppers
  • 1 Cup Chicken stock
  • 1/4 Cup Dry sherry
  • 1 Cup Heavy cream
  • Salt and white pepper to taste
  • Mexican cream (or sour cream)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to broil and spray a baking sheet with Pam.
  2. Place peppers on a baking sheet under the broiler until the skins become black, turning until the peppers are black on all sides.
  3. Place the peppers into a large pot, cover with plastic wrap, and allow to stand at least 15 minutes.
  4. Carefully peel the skin and remove the seeds from each pepper. Discard.
  5. Purée the peppers and place into a clean pot.
  6. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
  7. Add the sherry and simmer one minute more.
  8. Add the cream and heat through.
  9. Adjust the seasoning with salt and white pepper to taste.
  10. Garnish each serving with some Mexican cream from a squeeze bottle, or a dollop of sour cream.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by labradors (Here's the recipe I ...)
and here's one we did for an apprenticeship dinner in school a few years ago that we still make and love.

* Exported from MasterCook *

ROASTED TOMATO BASIL SOUP W/GOAT CHEESE CRUMBLES

Recipe By :2003 APPRENTICESHIP DINNER
Serving Size : 6

3 lbs ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 cup + 2 T Olive oil
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsps freshly ground black pepper
2 med chopped yellow onions -- ~2 cups
6 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsps unsalted butter
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
28 ozs canned plum tomatoes with juice
4 c fresh basil leaves, packed
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 qt chicken stock or water
Garnish:
3 ozs Goat cheese

1. Oven - 400°
2. Toss the tomatoes, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt & pepper together
3. Spread tomatoes in 1 layer on b. sheets & roast for 45 min.
4. In stockpot over med. heat, sauté onions & garlic with 2 T olive oil, butter & red pepper flakes for 10 min., till onions start to brown.
5. Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme & chicken stock.
6. Add oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on b. sheet.
7. Bring to boil & simmer uncovered for 40 min.
8. Pass thru a food mill fitted w/the coarsest blade. Or processor/blender.
9. Taste for seasonings.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by cjs (and here's one we di...)
Thanks all, that's helpful, and knowing me, I'll take a little from this suggestion and a little from that suggestion and bunch them all up.

Sally
  Re: Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by lxxf (Thanks all, that's h...)
...and then write down what you do!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by cjs (...and then write do...)
...and take a picture so we can all drool
  Re: Re: Anybody have a roasted red pepper tomato bisque by DFen911 (...and take a pictur...)
I saw this and thought I would post mine--no tomatoes though--

1 onion chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 carrot chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
2t olive oil
1 & 1/2 lbs red bell peppers, roasted, peeled, chopped
3/4lbs potatoes, diced
3C chicken stock
salt and black pepper to taste
1 chipotle pepper/w adobo sauce to taste
Cook onion, celery, & garlic until soft--10 min or so.
Bring stock to a boil.
Add onion mixture, potatoes, salt, & chipotle to boiling stock. Simmer 20 min or so until potatoe are tender. Add bell peppers. Puree with an emersion blender or cool and put in a blender-- add cream if desired.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".