Duck!
  Re: (...)
No, no, no. You can stand up again. I meant I found duck in a new meat place that opened about two months ago. At $3.97 per pound, it's pricey in contrast to chicken, pork and beef, for here.

This place also had a lot of other interesting things:
  • Frog legs (can take or leave those, but it's interesting that they had them)
  • USDA rib eye (didn't ask the price)
  • Cornish game hens (same price as the duck; good, but for me, duck rules by a long shot)
  • Lamb ($5.29 per pound; shall have to get some of this at some point)
  • Basa (!!! yes, basa; only $2.91 per pound)
Needless to say, I bought one of the ducks - just slightly over five pounds. Now I need to decide how I want to fix it. Shall have to review to see if maybe I can make some confit. Still want to make sure I have enough fat left to fry some potatoes.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Duck! by labradors (No, no, no. You can...)
Love me some duck! I like to make the breasts with a fig gastrique. I have yet to try to confit the legs, but I will. They actually have duck in our local Wal-Mart. Awesome that you found such a cool meat place.
~Heidi, SAHM, self-taught chef and born foodie
my blog - http://thelifeofadoctorswife.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Duck! by Vanquisher (Love me some duck! ...)
Congrats, Rob! I can't wait to hear what you do with it!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Duck! by Gourmet_Mom (Congrats, Rob! I ca...)
Oh, you're going to have fun, Labs - you probably have all kinds of ideas for the duck, but here's another.

Duck Confit Pizza

6 Ounces Pizza Dough
1/2 Cup Demi Glace -- with mushrooms slices
3 Ounces Cheese *
1/2 To 1 Cup Duck Confit Pieces
1/3 Cup Blueberry Chutney (see Recipe)
2 Ounces Parmesan Cheese, Grated

Oven to 450 F.
Roll or pat out the pizza dough to a 9" circle
Layer the pizza toppings on the circle of dough.

Bake the pizza on the lowest rack position for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned and the topping is starting to bubble.

This pizza would be wonderful as a starter to a dinner party, offered as a passed appetizer, or dinner for two with a glass of your favorite champagne.

* I Had Chiantino left from a Christmas present, but you can use a Baby Bell, Swiss, White Cheddar, or Colby, just about any cheese you prefer.
----
Try with my Huckleberry ketchup
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck! by cjs (Oh, you're going to ...)
Jean, I'd love that pizza, and have even been thinking about something like that, but with very different (i.e. available) ingredients.

Heidi, since I still have some figs left from the pork roulades I made the other night, that gastrique could be just the thing.

Actually, I'm still looking for ideas, since I want to get the most out of this while I have it. At this point, I'm not even sure if the rest of the duck will produce enough fat to make confit from the legs.

Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks!
  Re: Re: Duck! by labradors (Jean, I'd love that ...)
OMG Labs, I would love to do duck, but it would have to be for me since the Hubby doesn't like it.

There are a few choice recipes in C@H for duck that had me thinking. IIRC, one had a cherry or a pomegranate sauce to it. And of course, a La Orange!

If you don't have any recipes, let me know, I'll look up the index.

Was it a whole duck or parts? Boned? De-Boned?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Duck! by BarbaraS (OMG Labs, I would lo...)
Do you have a smoker? Jean was telling me about her Peking Duck
  Re: Re: Duck! by DFen911 (Do you have a smoker...)
Naturally, I've considered both A la Orange and Peking, but I'm not sure that those would still allow me to try the confit, or at least the duck-fat-fried potatoes. So far, I'm liking Heidi's idea for the fig gastrique, especially since I still have some figs.

Heidi, what do you use for your gastrique? I found a great-sounding recipe on the Web, but it called for Port, which I can't get. Another one that sounded intriguing was a fig-habanero gastrique, but that called for soy sauce, and I just don't feel like having soy sauce with this (at least not this time). Of course, all I would really need are the figs, some vinegar, some sugar, and my choice of wine.

Don't have a smoker, yet, Denise.

Am also wondering if it would be possible to improvise (i.e. without much constructions know-how) a duck press.
  Re: Re: Duck! by labradors (Naturally, I've cons...)
duck prosciutto, also.

You won't get enough duck fat from one duck for confit. I always have to 'save up' the fat for doing that.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Duck! by cjs (duck prosciutto, als...)

Okay. Well, we'll see. Thanks.