OT my trip to the eastern shore
  Re: (...)
I want to preface this story with the fact that I had a wonderful time with my daughter and feel so refreshed for the little vacation. It did not, however, go without a hitch. I just tried to make the best of the time we had.

We arrived in Lewes,DE on Monday evening. We had made arrangements to stay at my SIL's weekend house there. The first thing we had to do was turn on the heat, water, and hot water heater. It was 40 degrees in the house. (I know, no sympathy from Sharon) We decided to walk up to a local restaurant recommended by Vicci to get some dinner and let the house warm. The place is called "Striper Bites" and we had a great time and wonderful food. I ordered lobster tails and big girl ordered crab cakes. We shared and everything was perfect. The restaurant is decorated with fishing nets and bouys. We talked over a few beers and truly relaxed. I forgot my camera back at the house so no photos that night. When we finally get back to the house, the temp had risen to only 45. I was exhausted so I went to bed in my clothes and coat. Daughter, Monica, stayed up huddled under a blanket watching movies. Sometime in the night I woke up with a fierce migraine, but did not want to escape the warmth of the bed. Finally at 5:30, I couldn't take the pain any longer and got up to take meds. I ran out to the car without realizing the house has a self locking door. Luckily, I was still in my clothes and coat, had a few dollars in my pocket, and my camera in the car. No cell phone. I tell myself it's ok cuz I will walk to the coffee shop and maybe take some pictures on the walk. I get to the coffee shop only to find it opens at 7am. I decide to keep walking and take pictures as the sun was coming up. I took two photos and my camera battery dies. By now I am thinking "what next?". I walk around one of the loveliest towns I have seen until the cafe opened and ordered the largest coffee they sold. The owner was kind enough to let me call my daughter to ask her to let me in. We go out for a huge breakfast at a diner, but the migraine comes back so I return to bed with a shirt over my head (for darkness) while Monica visits the local college. She returns in the afternoon and has an appointment two hours south in Maryland to visit another college. I didn't want to go, but let her drive and again just covered my head and tried to sleep it off. I slept in the car while she interrogated the folks at that school. I felt well enough to drive back to Lewes. We decided to try a different place for dinner, an Irish Pub on the canal. It was quite a long walk on a cold winters night. We arrive to find the place lit up like a Walmart. Not only is this odd for a Pub, but the bright lights prevented us from enjoying the gorgeous view outside. The food was mediocre and the migraine returned with a vengence. Back to bed. Wednesday, the day we leave for home, was very cold, pouring rain, with high winds. Great! We still had not seen the beach and now this? We went anyway, snapped three quick pictures with her camera of the waves crashing on the shore and ran back to the warmth of the car. I dropped her off at a bus station in Wilmington,DE as she was off to New Jersey. I drove home. We had lots of time to chat in the car and she now knows she would love to attend the school in Lewes, but has no interest in the one in Delaware, so mission accomplished.

And Daphne, if you made it this far into this "book", she is planning to apply to two schools in NC, so maybe we will make it there too!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by chef_Tab (I want to preface th...)
Oh Theresa, I am so sorry it didn't work out better for you. What a bummer. But at least you had some nice time to talk with your daughter. Good luck to her in her school hunt.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by chef_Tab (I want to preface th...)
Your trip reminds me of some of my dreams--I'm somewhere that I don't recognize, without my luggage, I can't find Jane, I'm having trouble getting to the airport and the plane is about to leave--I always wake up and realize everthing is ok. I hope your experience turns out like my mornings-after!!! My best!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by Old Bay (Your trip reminds me...)
GRACIOUS! What a trip! I'm glad you both made it home safely. You sure made the best of a bad situation. Getting locked out in the wee hours with a migraine would have been the last straw.

What do you mean, "if you made it this far into this 'book'". It was like watching a train wreck...I had to see it to the end! Yes, if you saw your original "MIA" thread, you'd see that one of the best is at UNCW where my two oldest attend. You better let me know if/when you come this way! Ashley and I would love to meet you guys when you're in town.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by Gourmet_Mom (GRACIOUS! What a tr...)
Daphne, I did see your suggestion and relayed the message. That is what sparked her investigation, so thank you! I am doing my level best to keep her on the east coast. Nothing against you left coast folks, but it's too far and too expensive. Mostly I would like to see her happy.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by chef_Tab (Daphne, I did see yo...)
Tracie is talking in one ear and Roy in the other, so I'm saving this thread for tomorrow when they are both still asleep!! I'll be back.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by cjs (Tracie is talking in...)
Good deal, Theresa! It's a beautiful campus, and the kids love it there.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by Gourmet_Mom (Good deal, Theresa! ...)
Good and bad in one trip! That's life sometimes!
  Re: Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by HomeCulinarian (Good and bad in one ...)
Well, this was a trip to remember, was it not???
All week I envied your being in one of my favorite places, but I'm so sorry to hear about the migraines. I'm happy that at least I gave you a good recommendation on dinner, though!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: OT my trip to the eastern shore by foodfiend (Well, this was a tri...)
Oh Theresa, what a bummer about the migraine! Sounds like the hunt continues for Monica to find the 'right' school.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com